Andrew James
Andrew James, Senior Systems Engineer
Experience:  RedHat certified. Ansible & Salt Ninja. Professional background running the automation platform for a major internet firm
96365785

I have a picture "erased" the background and now need to

Customer Question

i have a picture "erased" the background and now need to soften the edges so i can insert into a flyer but can't seem to figure out how to do it in photoshop cs6
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Kevin T replied 18 days ago.

How's it going.
Let me read of your question. Give me a minute.

Expert:  Kevin T replied 18 days ago.

What OS are you ruining?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
windows 10
Expert:  Kevin T replied 18 days ago.

Can you explain by soften?

You mean blur?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
are you a photoshop expert?
that's what i need
not a computer hardware engineer
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
you are not even in the ball park
i need software
Expert:  Andrew James replied 18 days ago.

Did you get this sorted out? If not.. I assume you're looking for feathering or a similar method in CS6. Feathering is probably the easiest way to soften the edges if you're worried about how it will look when moved to your flyer.

1) You will need to start by creating a selection around the image that is left over.

2) Then choose Select -> Feather ... (Or it's Select -> Modify -> Feather)

3) Pick the pixel count you want to feather and that should soften your edges. .. The larger the number, the more blurred the edges. I would expect you want something more subtle, so try something like 0.5 or 1.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I had already tried that on my own and it didn't work

Is that generally the effect you're looking for? (I mean, had it worked).

And what happens when you attempt that? Will help me in figuring out what may have gone wrong and where and what other options there are.

Your other option is the refine edge tool, which gives you pretty granular options overall.

Control+alt+r on windows to get it to pop up. Same thing, make sure you're on the layer you need to edit, and make sure you select the object first. Choose Smart Radius, makes life easier as it determines more about the edge for you.

From there you have multiple edging options.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
nothing is working for me. I have done this many times and for this picture nothing is working
i have attached the picture. i just want the edges around the kids to be able to "feather""Blur" whatever the term so that when I insert into the flyer as a .png is just looks nice