Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

When I went on edge I had a message that my computer was

Customer Question

When I went on edge I had a message that my computer was locked and I should call the number on the screen. It said it was from Microsoft. Is that really from Microsoft?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your computer? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: We have windows 10,but not sure about model
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: I haven't personally but a few days ago I got a message that updates were installed
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: don't think so
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 21 days ago.

Hi there and welcome

This is 100% a scam. This message was not from Microsoft and Microsoft would never contact you like that.
This is what is known as "phishing" it is can be a very serious problem if you do let them access your computer.
Basically what they will do is contact a lot of people with these messages and phone numbers and say that you have problems. Any actual computer problems you have will be entirely coincidental. Usually what they will do is show you the windows error log which always shows a lot of errors but these are normal and on all windows computers, they are not viruses.
Next they log onto your computer and lie to you about the numerous problems they pretend to find. Next they will attempt to get you to pay a few hundred dollars to "fix" the issues when in fact they actually do nothing too helpful.

Always remember, no legitimate tech support company would ever contact you. Your computer does not report to Microsoft or any other company so if any tech support person contacts you can trust it is a scam and just hang up.

Please do me a favor and take a moment to rate my service by clicking the stars above, 3 or more is very appreciated, we can still chat after rating if you need more help.

Thank you