Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I have a computer running Windows Vista. For the last month

Customer Question

I have a computer running Windows Vista. For the last month or so, I have been unable to successfully run Windows updates. Can you help me fix this?
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 15 days ago.

Hi there and welcome

What is the error message you receive when the updates fail to install?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
There is no error message. The message "Downloading Updates" just stays up indefinitely and the bar chart always shows "0% complete". It can stay like that overnight or even longer. If I eventually cancel the Windows Update and shut down the computer, and then later check the Windows Update history, it shows as a "Failed" update.
Expert:  Richard replied 15 days ago.

thanks

Click Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator.

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.

chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.

Then tell me please if the updates install.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi, Richard -- I followed these instructions, but the problem still persists. Note: after I typed "scannow", there was a message: "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them. Details are included in the CBS.Log ...."What do we do next? Nitsan
Expert:  Richard replied 12 days ago.

did you do the following steps?

type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I did type in chkdsk /r and enter. After I did so, I got the following message: "This volume will be checked the next time the system restarts." (And then I did a restart ....)
Expert:  Richard replied 11 days ago.

thanks, ***** ***** sfc /scannow again, can it repair it this time?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I ran sfc/scannow again, restarted, and am currently trying to run Windows Update. It doesn't look encouraging, but I'll wait until tomorrow morning before deeming this unsuccessful.
Expert:  Richard replied 8 days ago.

ok, though did it say it repaired this time?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I'm not sure.
Expert:  Richard replied 8 days ago.

ok, is the problem resolved?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No, it is not resolved.
Expert:  Richard replied 8 days ago.

Thanks

Can you download and run this file please

http://aka.ms/diag_wu10

Let it complete and then restart and tell me if it then updates please.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
How do I run this file? When I hit the START button, type "Run", and browse to the location where I saved your diagnostic file, I get the following message: "Windows cannot open the file wu10.diag.cab. To open this file, Windows needs to know what program you want to use to open it. Windows can go online to look it up automatically, or you can manually select from a list of programs on your computer. What do you want to do?" The message then gives me a radio-button choice between using the Web service to look up the correct program or selecting a program from the list of installed programs. I tried using the Web service, but it just brought me to a Windows File Association website that stated that it didn't recognize the file type of the file that I am trying to open.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 days ago.

It is a standard executable, so you would double click it, the fact you cannot run it is likely part of this issue

Click Start, type in MSCONFIG and press enter.

Click on the Startup Tab and click Disable All.

Click on the Services Tab and click "Hide All Microsoft Services"

Then click Disable All

Click ok, restart and let me know if it then updates please

Customer: replied 2 days ago.
Richard, I tried this, but it didn't help, as far as I can see.
Expert:  Richard replied 2 day ago.

ok, the only step now left is a reinstallation of Vista, all repair options have failed.

Can you backup all data from the computer and then tell me the make and model of the computer so we can do this please.