Cody
Cody, Senior Systems Administrator
Experience:  Systems Administrator
58973002

My Word program has quit working properly. When ever I try

Customer Question

My Word program has quit working properly. When ever I try to open or edit a word document, I get a white screen. nothing on it. What has happened to word?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your computer? And what version of Word are you using?
Customer: Toshiba C-55-C5241, word 2016
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: I install updates when they become available.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 17 days ago.

Hi, I'm Mr.med. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Mr.Med replied 17 days ago.

I'm sorry about the issue, When did this start, and what is your Operating system please? (Windows or Mac)

Thank you

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
It just started yesterday. Windows 10
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 17 days ago.

Please try to restore Windows 10 by following the steps below :

1. Right-click (or press and hold) the Start button, and then select Control Panel.
  2. Search Control Panel for Recovery.
  3. Select Recovery > Open System Restore > Next.
  4. Choose the restore point that you want to use. You should use the restore point with a date when you still don't have the problem you are facing now.

Thank you

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I am not on windows 7. I am in Windows 10. You obviously dop not know what you are doing.
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 17 days ago.

Yes I know you are in Windows 10, they are the same steps, Would you like me to set up a remote session (NO extra charge), which will allow me to connect directly to your screen and assist you quickly with this issue?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Under Settings/updates and security/ recovery "go back to an earlier build "This option is not available because your PC was updated more than 10 days ago"
Reset makes me reinstall "all" programs. This will take hours. I will go elsewhere for help.
Expert:  Isaac Franklin replied 17 days ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** i will try to finish helping you today.

You said this started 10 days ago and you are on windows 10.

did you have an upgrade recently in the 10 days or have you always had windows 10 on the pc?

1. Make sure you are running the latest Microsoft Word version.

If you haven’t turned on automatic updates on your computer, you can search for updates manually.

For Office 2016 and 2013 go to File > Account > Update Options > Update Now.

For Office 2010, go to File > Help > Check for Updates.

For Office 2007, click on the Office button and then go to ***** > Resources > Check for Updates.

2. Use the Safe Mode to launch Microsoft Word.

In Windows 10 , Windows 8 and Windows 7, click on the Start Button and then click on the Run option.

Type the following command: winword /safe and press Enter to start Word.

3. Disable add-ins

While still using the Safe Mode, go to File > Options > Add-Ins. Then select Manage and Go and uncheck the add-ins one at a time. Restart Microsoft Word normally (not in Safe Mode).

4. Disable COMM add-ins:

The steps are similar to those for disabling simple add-ins. Click on File > Options > Add-Ins. Go to Manage and select COMM add-ins. Disable the COMM add-ins one at a time and then restart Windows normally.

5. Uninstall and install Microsoft Office manually

This is the best solution to remove all Office folders because a standard uninstall using the Control Panel or the easy fix tool via a browser does not remove all files associated to the package.

This is a nine step process – 8 steps only for uninstalling Microsoft office, the last step for installing Office back on your machine. You can check Microsoft’s support page for a step-by-step manual uninstall for Office 2016 and Office 2013.

We can try these since you said you do not have a restore point anymore?

Then we can go from there if it isnt resolved.

Is there anything you would like to ask before you start?

Please rate the 5 stars at the top of the page to close out this question as it is the only way i am

credited for the work done with clients. Or, reply to continue if further troubleshooting is necessary.

~Franklin

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Sorry Isaac, I gave up and went to Microsoft. They said check for updates for Word. I did, found multiple updates. ran updates on Word, restarted, works fine. Your way looks much harder. Sorry can't give you credit and will be asking for a refund.

Downloading the updates was step one on the instructions i sent to you.

If you would like a refund, that is fine. I do not see that portion of your account.

You can contact customer service.

Have a great day.

Expert:  Cody replied 17 days ago.

need help with this still?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
No, I solved the problem without assistance after frustration with Mr. Med. I went to Microsoft and they gave me the steps to correct my problem, no charge. Yes, it was step one from Isaac, but by the time I got his advice, I had the problem resolved. I have requested a refund of my payment.
Expert:  Cody replied 17 days ago.

ok ty for update