Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

NewRT N66U router. I have entered every combination of set

Customer Question

newRT N66U router. I have entered every combination of set no. G51A08002518 only to have it rejected every time
JA: What kind of computer do you have?
Customer: At the moment I'm on my iMac
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No. I'm registering the router for the first time. I bought it this afternoon.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Connect me to what or whom?
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Mr.Med replied 18 days ago.

Hi, I'm Mr.med. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Mr.Med replied 18 days ago.
  • First Attach antennas and Plug router into a power source, Plug one end of the provided ethernet cord into the Internet Out port on your modem and the other into blue ethernet port on the RT-N66U Router.

• Open the wireless settings, Click on the Wi-Fi icon. It is on the top right corner on your iMac, There are two options to connect to: ***** ***** ASUS_5G. Either will work.

• Open your Internet browser and type : http://192.168.1.1 The first step once you being the Quick Internet Setup is to give your RT-N66U an administrator's username and password, Anyone who has access to your Wi-Fi and this username and password ***** be able to adjust settings on your router so be sure to choose a unique username and a strong password.

• Create a name for your network. The name, also known as SSID, identifies your network. Be creative and unique
  • When your network is given a new name and password ***** will disconnect you. Simply reconnect.
  • Return to 192.168.1.1 and Go to the Administration tab.
  • Choose the Firmware Upgrade tab. and Click on the Check button.
  • Reboot. When installation has completed a screen will appear asking you to reboot the router.

Let me know the results please

Thank you

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
No thanks, ***** ***** wanted to register my product and do not plan on connecting to the DSL modem until tomorrow. So thanks for the advice that I seen in the set up instructions. Please disregard my enquiry.
Adam Hrabinski
Expert:  Robert M. replied 17 days ago.

are you trying to just register your ownership with asus ?

i would try waiting until the router is installed and connected to the internet.

It should register itself automatically or at least they will be able to find the mac address of the router when you send the serial number.

it may be giving you a hard time just because they can't see the router existing when you are registering it.

But it could be some other silly problem as well such as a bad email address etc.