Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I speak PC fluently, so you dont have to! Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I have a Lenovo x201 Tablet. I upgraded to Windows 10 at the

Customer Question

Hi Andy - I have a Lenovo x201 Tablet. I upgraded to Windows 10 at the start of the summer, and everything worked fine. Then around the end of September, I permitted an automatic update to Windows 10 Version 1607. Since then, I experience frequent difficulties re-booting. Usually after 2 or 3 tries I can boot successfully. Since last night, I have been unable to boot at all. All I get is the rotating circle of white dots on a black screen. Any suggestions?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your Lenovo? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: X201 - Model 0831CTO. I believe it is Windows 10 Version 1607 - that's what this computer says - I can't reboot the laptop, but have used the ThinkVantage button to suspend the current boot attempt.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Around the end of September, I permitted an automatic update to Windows 10 Version 1607. Since then, I experience frequent difficulties re-booting.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I need instructions on how to re-boot. The only other idea I have regards ***** ***** I have the hard disk partitioned into C: and D: - The D: partition is getting full, but Windows and all apps are installed on C:
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

1607 is a major update, similar to the Service packs microsoft used to put out in the old windows xp, vista and windows 7 days.

You may luck out and only need to do a system restore, which wont erase your programs and files.. So lets try this.

we need to do this special trick to force a repair screen.

Start the computer, then immediately press and hold power to shut it down.

repeat that 4 times, and then the last time when you start the computer do not press and hold power.

It should go to a blue screen menu.

If you get to the blue screen menu, continue. Other wise, keep trying the forced shut down approach above until you see the blue screen that says diagnosing your computer , or shows buttons such as continue or troubleshoot.

Once we see the troubleshoot button, click it, then click advanced, and then click system restore.

Then, system restore your computer to a date before the problem began.

Let me know if you can make it this far, or not. And if you cant make it that far we may want to consider rolling back to a previous version of windows 10.

So win lose or draw keep me posted!

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
After repeated power on-off attempts, I got a black screen saying to press F1. It appears that this took me to the same screen I get by pressing the ThinkVantage button. From that menu I clicked system restore and that eventually led to the blue screen. For future reference, can use the ThinkVantage button instead of the repeated power on-off cycle?The earliest restore date provided was 10/29/16 - I am attempting that restore now. I will let you know what happens, but assuming it works, what can I do to assure that my laptop re-boots properly in the future?
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

First, you can use the thinkvantage button, as long as the lenovo subsystem isn't damaged.. I normally go straight for the forced recovery approach as it tends to work reliably unless the recovery partition is toast.

But technically you could use the Novo button.

As far as preventing this.. When the system restore completes.. Instead of letting windows update try to install the 1607 package..

Id manually download it to your computer and burn it to usb drive using the media creation tool on this page, and then manually install the update.

That will ensure a proper install, unlike the roulette version of the i nstall that windows update does....

Here is the link

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If all goes well with the system restore and the update, please remember to return here and click and submit a 5 start rating so I am credited with assisting you.

if anything at all goes wrong, dont hesitate to contact me. I will be online for another 8 hours today, if needed.

Thank you,

Dustin S

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My laptop is still working on the restore. In the meantime, I checked the link you provided. I found how to download Windows 10, but not how to download the 1607 package.
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

That download I sent you to, it always links to the newest package for updates, which currently is the 1607 RTM package ( the newest )

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am still preparing on my desktop. I tried the download to USB, but only one file downloaded: MediaCreationTool.exe. Is this the correct file?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The restore attempt ended in an unspecified error. It suggested that I try a different restore date, but 10/29/16 is the earliest date it offered. How do I get back to an earlier restore point?I decided to run the HDD diagnostics program before attempting another restore. This will take awhile, so I will get back to you after it finishes.
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

Understood..

Sometimes when you do the restore it says it doesnt work

But then if you let windows try toload, it loads right up.

So after the diagnostic, try to let windows start normally.. If that doesnt work, then lets try going back to the blue screen, troubleshooting, advanced, and then choose roll back to an earlier version of windows 10..

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks - I'll try again after the HDD check.
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

All right, keep me posted~

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I was finally able to boot my Lenovo X201 laptop yesterday afternoon, and access the following information:
Windows 10 Pro
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU L 640 @ 2.13GHz 2.13 GHz
Installed memory (RAM): 8.00 GB (7.80 GB usable)
System type: 64-bit Operating System, x64-based processorFollowing your advice, since re-booting has been a problem for awhile, I downloaded the current version of Windows 10 to a USB drive, and then attempted to reinstall Windows from that USB. When asked, I permitted Windows to download the latest updates before starting the install. Although lengthy, everything appeared to be going normally with the install. I watched it for an hour or so, and then left the laptop running. I checked in at about 10:00 p.m. and saw an active green screen saying it was 35% complete. I left it running and later fell asleep. I woke up at about 3:30 a.m. and checked again. Now it was back to the usual black screen with a circle of white dots. At that point I turned the laptop off.This morning I turned the laptop back on, and saw a message saying it was trying to recover the install. It's been an hour now, and I am back to the familiar black screen with white dots. Any suggestions?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Later, I was successful in re-booting with an earlier version of Windows 10. The following message was displayed:
OxC1900101 - 0x40017
The installation failed in the SECOND BOOT phase with an error during BOOT operationAs I said in the beginning, whenever I shut down or restart the laptop, it usually takes several attempts (power off and then back on again). Is there any way to return to a stable operation using Windows 10 on my laptop? Apparently the last drivers provided for my Model X201 are for Windows 8 (64-bit).
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I use Norton Security. I read that someone else with a similar problem was successful by uninstalling Norton, activating Windows Defender and then re-installing Windows 10. I am trying that now.
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

My apologies for the delay in getting back to you, Ran into some zero day and font / privilege elevation abuse issues that kept me out of the loop today.

Whats the current status?

I think our best bet may be to create an iso image of windows 10 and burn it to disk rather then just the recovery environment.. Make sure that we format the entire hard drive, each partition, prior to installing windows. And then lets avoid allowing it to install any updates during the install, as that can throw an entirely different wrench in to the mix that we are better equipped to face once windows is installed and booted.

I realize its a bit late for a status update.. But I will be working around the clock tomorrow and going through the weekend as much as I can humanly maintain.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I uninstalled Norton Security and used the USB it reinstall Windows 10 again. This time I did not permit other updates. As far as I can tell, the installation went normally (so far) with two boots. I am still on the black screen after the second boot - about 12 hours thus far, but the disk light is still flashing. I read one comment that his install took over one day to complete, so for the time being, I am going to let it keep going and see where things are in the morning. If no luck tomorrow, I will prepare the disk as you described. Thanks for getting back to me.
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

Before a reinstall.. Lets consider the possibility that its just the efi file in your boot record thats toasted..

Since you already have the usb made.. before reinstalling windows , lets follow the steps to rebuild the boot sector on this page

https://neosmart.net/wiki/fix-uefi-boot/

Scroll down to this section.. Fix UEFI Boot in Windows 8, 8.1 or 10

And then go for fix 1

Personally, Id do so now..

Then, boot from the usb again and start the install again. Ive reinstalled windows 10 about a dozen times in the last week on a compromised system. It should never take more then half an hour unless there is a huge issue.... And if the install could fix the issue, it would have done so already..

If you want to wait it out, thats fine.. But if that doesnt succeed.. We need to consider some more advanced techniques

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Dustin - My laptop will now boot - at last. I think you were correct that it could not boot from my hard drive. In addition, the USB I used to reinstall Windows 10 was not bootable either. I made the USB bootable with my desktop, and then inserted it in my laptop. Without doing anything else, the laptop then went on and finished the install including updates.I could then access the command prompt from the laptop. When I tried diskpart, I could not identify any volumes without drive letters, so I aborted that. I am still not sure if it was bootable from the C: drive at that point, but as long as the bootable USB was inserted I could reboot.I may have just been impatient trying to reboot without the USB, but did not think I had solved the booting problem, so I went ahead, downloaded the ISO file and created a Windows 10 Install DVD as you suggested earlier. When I re-booted the laptop with this in the DVD drive, the system asked if I wanted to re-install windows or start the system. Windows started normally, and ever since I have been able to re-boot from the C: drive.Thanks - It's been a learning experience!
Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

Excellent! Im glad to hear that all went well and the machine is up and running..

And thankfully now, you have a windo0ws dvd you can repair or install from in case anything goes wrong, Id hold on to that!

If anything else comes up, you know where to find me.

At this time it would be appropriate to click and submit a 5 star rating to show that I w as able to assist you, thank you.

Dustin S.

Expert:  Dustin replied 5 months ago.

Hello again, did you still need help with this issue; if so please respond.

Other wise, please remember to click and submit a star rating so that it closes this ticket and credits me for assisting you.

Thank you,

Dustin S

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks, Dustin. All is well and I have already submitted your rating.