Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

I need your advice re: Think Pad model X230 Tablet. I have

Customer Question

I need your advice re: Think Pad model X230 Tablet. I have two power cords and sometimes use a docking station (other than when on travel). However the two power cords differ. (1) the first has a 90W 20V adapter ADLX90NCT2A and is 2" x 5"; The date shown is 2013/06. (2) the second is has a smaller adapter 1 3/4 1" x 4 14/", ADLX65NLT2A //Both of these power cords have a found plug that works for both the docking station and directly to the laptop. What is the difference and are both ok /safe to use??. Why would there be a difference?
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your ThinkPad?
Customer: It is a x 230 Tablet
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no--I just need to know if both power cords are safe to use and to understand why there is a difference
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 2 months ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. The first power cord adapter ADLX90NCT2A 90W is for the laptop, and the second power cord adapter ADLX65NLT2A 65W is for the docking station. The laptop uses more power, so its power adapter has more watts. However, you can use either adapters for the laptop, though the lower-watt power adapter might charge slower.

Please let me know if you have any further question. Please reply at the box below to continue. Thank you,