Josh, Support Specialist
Experience:  5 years as Network Admin, 10+ years of IT support
50836188

I sent my computer out, with what I thought was a friend of

Customer Question

I sent my computer out, with what I thought was a friend of my, to have him try and see what was wrong with it. When he brought it back it was not my computer. I confronted him, and he stated that, that was the computer I had him look at. Is there any way google can tell me if I am on the same computer that I had been on, up until Nov. 2016.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your machine, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: I had purchased this computer 10 to 15 years ago, used, but it had Windows XP on it and a lot more Gigs than this one. I also had a lot of pictures and documents, which I guess he took off. I will try and locate the computer model if you think you could help me.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: His address is Bristol TN as well as my. I did have my worked on recently by a company out of Canada ph # 1-***-***-****. The name of the Co. was on my computer.
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Josh replied 23 days ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you. Let's get started!

Expert:  Josh replied 23 days ago.

There isn't a way to confirm that it is the same computer unless you had all of the original information of the computer such as serial number, etc.

Google cannot determine if it is the same computer that was used previously or if it is a different computer using the same IP address. If the computer was 10-15 years old, there would be no reason for a person to switch out the computers because there is no resale value for a computer that old. It is possible that your "friend" took some of the RAM out of the computer but again that would be unlikely unless he needed it for a project or his own computer.

The only reason that I could see if he replaced your computer would be if something happened to your old computer and he was afraid to tell you that so he felt guilty and replaced it with a similar model. Again, this is all speculation because we don't have anything concrete that we can link this computer to.

Expert:  Josh replied 23 days ago.

You mentioned that your pictures and files are missing which could be another indication that something went wrong with your old computer so he tried to replace it. Did he have an answer as to why your files were missing?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
My computer had extra gig put on it, I had that put on a few years back.
Expert:  Josh replied 23 days ago.

An extra GB of RAM?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I paid $40 bucks, $5.00 and $35.00 more to ask a question you could have just said no?
Expert:  Josh replied 23 days ago.

I do not work on the customer service side so I cannot see payment information.

With that being said, I will revert back to my previous answer of what I think happened with your computer.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I just thought Google could help, it was worth a try, thanks
Expert:  Josh replied 23 days ago.

I completely understand and I wish there was some way of proving it because there is nothing worse than knowing something is wrong and everyone thinking you are crazy.

If you can take a minute and use the rating system to rate our session as 4 stars or higher and press Submit so I am credited with helping you.

Expert:  Josh replied 22 days ago.

I am checking back up on you about your issue. If the issue is resolved or you do not need anymore help, please rate our session as 4 stars or more and press Submit so I am credited with helping you otherwise please reply back so we can continue with the issue.