Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I speak PC fluently, so you dont have to! Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I tried to reset my Microsoft surface laptop and it crashed

Customer Question

I tried to reset my Microsoft surface laptop and it crashed during to process. Now the computer just blinks on and off only displaying the word Surface. I tried to turn it off and on and that did not resolve the issue. Thanks. Sal
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Randy Computer Tech replied 24 days ago.

Hi Sal ,

My name is***** am sorry to hear that you are having this issue.

I will be glad to assist you with this.

Follow these steps please.

1. Disconnect all external connected peripheral devices such as USB storage devices, external displays, and printers.

2. Unplug the AC adapter from the computer.

3. Then press and hold the Power button for 60 seconds

Press and hold the volume-up button and the power button at the same time for at least 15 seconds and then release both. The screen may flash the Surface logo, but continue holding the buttons down for at least 15 seconds.Step 3:After you release the buttons, wait 10 seconds.Step 4:Press and release the power button to turn your Surface back on.If Windows starts: Install the latest Surface and Windows updates to help prevent future problems. If Windows doesn’t start: Reset your Surface using a USB recovery drive
If you haven’t already created a USB recovery drive, you can download a recovery image that contains all the files you need to reset your Surface to its factory settings. For more info, click here Download a recovery image for your Surface.
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
That did not work. How do I create a recovery drive if the laptop still does not work? Thanks.

Okay, you can do that from another computer.

Follow this link please.

https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en-us/support/warranty-service-and-recovery/downloadablerecoveryimage

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
It did not work. The compute just continues to blink. It did not read the USB

Step 1:Make sure your Surface is shut down and plugged in.

Step 2:Insert the USB recovery drive into the USB port.

Step 3:Press and hold the volume-down button while you press and release the power button.

Step 4:When the Surface logo appears, release the volume-down button.

Step 5:When prompted, select the language and keyboard layout you want.

Step 6:On the Choose an optionscreen, select Troubleshoot > Recover from a drive.

Step 7:If prompted for a recovery key, select Skip this drive at the bottom of the screen.

Step 8:Choose either Just remove my files or Fully clean the drive.
The option to clean the drive is more secure but takes much longer. For example, if you are recycling your Surface, you should clean the drive. If you are keeping your Surface, you just need to remove your files.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
No luck. Just blinks. Does not read the USB.

okay, what is the model of the Surface please?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
014272551653
Surface Pro 3
Expert:  Dustin replied 24 days ago.

Hello Sal, my name is Dustin. Welcome to Justanswer.com

Did you still need help with this issue, as it seems like the previous expert opted out.

If so, I need to know if you have a second computer, windows or mac; that you are using in order to create the recovery drives or speak to us.

Thank you,

Dustin S

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Hi. Still having the same problem. I'm using a mac to create recovery USB
Expert:  Dustin replied 24 days ago.

Ahhh.. That could very well be the reason that the PC cant read the recovery drive.

Its all about formatting, especially coming from a mac. Would you like me to connect to your mac from here and properly format the drive, and then assist you with the recovery process on the surface book pro itself?