Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Consultant within every computer and networking category. Troubleshoot and maintain various operating systems. Sales Engineering.
63493917

I have a Lenovo 580 using DSL for internet connection. Had

Customer Question

I have a Lenovo 580 using DSL for internet connection. Had my service provider out here, after repairing modem, we see on two computers we are getting 112 mbps download speed, but on the Lenovo only 56.2 mbps. We enabled bridge mode on the Actiontec router, we disabled WMM. Still only getting 56 or so mbps download speed. I have a Qualcomm Atheros AR8162/8166/8168 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30), all drivers are updated
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your Lenovo? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: Lenovo 580 Windows 10 all updated
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No, and restored the computer to original. Has always been slow speed compared to Dell and HP computers at our house using same DSL connection.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 26 days ago.

Hello, and Thank You for choosing JustAnswer.com
My name is ***** ***** I am reviewing your question now, please stand by for 1 or 2 minute for reply.

So the Problem Computer (the Lenovo 580) only has a FAST ETHERNET NIC (network INterface Card) .....correct?

YOu do realize, that FAST ETHERNET is only a theoretical maximum of 100Mbps.....and is typically notated as 10/100 Mbps. YOu will never get the maximum, its only the theoratical, under 100% perfect ideal conditions......and thats not possible outside of a laboratory.....you will expect 25-50% of the max......so you getting 56Mbps....is actually good.

.

So.....you getting 56Mbps.....is very normal. Matter of fact is pretty good for a 10/100 NIC.

.

If you want a faster transfer...upgrade the NIC to a 10/100/1000 NIC.....typically called Gigabit

Then you can exceed the 100 Mbps barrior.

Unless im not understanding somethign.......but.....I can do a remote session with you....so i can take a very EXACT look at the type of hardware you are using....and run some tests......do you have some time now to do this?