Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

Ok, get ready. Thought everything was ok since I'm retired

Customer Question

Ok, get ready. Thought everything was ok since I'm retired (67) and haven't really worked at home for about 10 years doing medical transcription. Of course, that was on a PC, not a laptop I have now. I didn't really join an online marketing group, they like to call us PARTNERS, but I had to give up my address (not password ***** probably not hard to get). All info will be released at arrival but way too much for typing here. I started noticing they were changing the way (and the emails) I received, started a scan from offsite (my house) which stated that 22,000+ files needed to be deleted. No real question there, but then stated that 21 drivers needed to be replaced. Didn't know computers had that many drivers. I bought the laptop a couple of years ago (second hand) who used it in his business (with brother-in-law). Didn't use the computer enough at home (PC) once a thunderstorm obliterated my and my sister's computer in a matter of minutes (lived out in the country). Anyway, I joined a group of online marketing people (yea, I know) who upon giving out my address (not pw but probably not hard to get these days) and I noticed the emails I was receiving was only from their group and all other emails were just gone. They've gone through all my files (nothing notable there) but went to my bank just in case to make sure nothing left my account w/o my approval. They have intrusively run a scan showing that 22,000+ files needed to be removed. I knew some needed removing but now they're saying that 21 drivers needed to be updated. I am 67. Started on (believe this or not) a manual at high school and not a real knowledgeable person re: the internet and whatnot. So. I need someone to come see what's up. I need my new printer to be hooked up (tried to do it myself) but not being a computer (excuse) geek, I need information and, and well you know. I live on Walnut St., just this side of Plano Rd. and have many, many questions. So ..... Your suggestions please
JA: Have you done a bandwidth test?
Customer: Have no idea what you are talking about. I'm 67. Like I said, started on the manual, moved to the selectric, Executive I & II, even word processing with circular film bands. Then law offices who already had everything set up with their people.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: I haven
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I haven't installed anything (but trying to install a new printer) but since they obviously have control of my computer, who knows.
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Russell H. replied 22 days ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

It sounds as if you may have chosen the wrong website... some are not reputable in their actual performance and according to customer reviews. Having 22,000 files deleted is all very well... if they were Temporary Files... and you could have done that yourself just fine by instruction from JustAnswer Experts... but 21 drivers replaced is a sign that the site was not reputable. (Though, with an old enough computer, that is just marginally possible.)

What Windows version is on the (used, second-hand) computer, please? XP, 7, 8 or 8.1, or 10 ?

Do you need someone there in person to work on your computer? if so, please tell me your town/city and state.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Unfortunately Vista. I had the guy I bought it from put I believe 7 on it. Oh, yes, I need help. I'm in Dallas, Texas,*****, #2029, Dallas, TX 75432. How are they controlling my computer (without my permission) to even run the scan. I would bring it in but I want my new printer set up so I can print things I find objectionable. They don't communicate. I'm about to terminate relations but need to know that also. How much ya'll want?

Price considerations are nothing to me, I wish to help with the problem.

If some organization is controlling your computer, then you signed up with them. To get you disconnected from them, knowing their organization name, website name, or what name there is on the billing for their services in your credit card records or bank records (if you cannot figure out who it is otherwise, that will be a sure clue)... will be needed.

If it takes a while to get that information, it's OK with me: this case can be returned to any time, at

http://www.justanswer.com/computer/a0gmq-ok-ready-thought-everything-ok-i-m-retired.html