IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

Oh Pearl, not a happy camper. Yesterday I shut my desktop

Customer Question

Oh Pearl, not a happy camper.
JA: What kind of computer do you have?
Customer: Yesterday I shut my desktop down to replace a power cable from the video card to the power supply. After I couldn't find the replacement cable I returned to the original cable configuration and now I can only get it to boot in safe mode with networking.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: No, It was running fine before the shut down yesterday.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. it is windows 10 64bit.
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Computer
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 28 days ago.

Hello! My name is*****
I am a certified computer professional who will assist you.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 28 days ago.

Please tell me if the computer automatically boots to Safe Mode with Networking when you power it on, or you are pressing the keys to go there?

Thanks,

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
OK It Miro, Let's get this done.
No. It tries to boot normally but the windows blue boxes appear and it spins FOREVER. I can force it to boot to safe mode with networking.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 28 days ago.

OK. You may ignore the pop-up about a secure remote assistance in case you see it since it won't help us with this kind of problem.

Here is what you can do:

Completely shut down your desktop computer and then un-plug all connected peripherals, such as keyboard, mouse, camera, printer, external hard drive, etc. After that, power it back on by pressing the power button and check if it boots to Windows 10 as before.

Let me know the results.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I am on the affected PC Now with you.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 28 days ago.

It booted to Windows 10 normally?

Expert:  IT Miro replied 28 days ago.

Oh, you are referring to Safe Mode with Networking, right?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
No. I am on the affected PC with you in safe mode with networking. If I do as you suggest, I will lose our connection.
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 28 days ago.

OK. You can save this page as a bookmark (favorite) and then go back anytime later after trying my suggestion. I will be waiting for you here.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
All I have plugged in now is a PS2 keyboard and a USB mouse with an ethernet connection.
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
The same ones I've been using for years now.
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
What else you suggest?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 28 days ago.

A recent Windows 10 update may fail to fully install upon restarting a computer in case there are several peripheral devices connected. That is why I suggested you that.

Expert:  IT Miro replied 28 days ago.

See this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/57idsg/so_yeah_the_new_update_totally_screwed_my_computer/

So, please do as I suggested and let me know if it booted normally.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Again, there have been no updates in days. It worked I shut it down and now it's not. It appears that there is a corruption. I tried a restore point from two weeks ago ad was unsuccessful.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 28 days ago.

I am just suggesting to try that first, since it affected other Windows 10 users. As I mentioned, you can easily reconnect with me after restarting the computer, and if the problem remained, I will tell you what you can do next.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
did not work.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 28 days ago.

OK, let's try with something else. You mentioned a system restore point that failed. Is there any other restore point available?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I tried the oldest which would be the best option.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 28 days ago.

Please try with another restore point available. System Restore doesn't affect your private documents, so you don't need to worry about losing your files. It only affects Windows and program settings.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I know that. Let's cut to the chase here. I too am an IT professional with 32 years experience. I have already tried all 5 of my restore points, each failing to succeed. I have run two utilities to clean the registry, remove cross linked files and no change in the symptoms. What else do you suggest?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 28 days ago.

That's fine. I don't know what you have tried already if you don't tell me. Sorry for suggesting the usual repair methods, but I just want to be sure you have tried them before suggesting you something else.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
No problem. Where do we go from here?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 28 days ago.

Let's continue. Hold on while I write the instructions for another repair method.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
OK
Expert:  IT Miro replied 28 days ago.

Please do the following:

1. Click on the Windows Start button and then on the power icon. Now press and hold down the Shift key, and while still holding, click on Restart
2. Continue to hold down the Shift key until you see the Choose an option screen
3. On that screen, click on Troubleshoot

4. On the next screen, click on Advanced options

That will allow you to access several repair methods. Since you have already tried with System Restore, you can skip it. The System Image Recovery works only if you have created a Windows 10 backup file (system image). If you have, you can select it.

If not, click on Startup Repair. It will restart the computer and attempt to automatically fix the startup errors.

In case it didn't work, go back and choose Startup Settings. There you can select to boot to different modes, such as "low-resolution video mode", "debugging mode", etc, so try with that as well to see if Windows will boot there.

Finally, if all fails, you can try the Go back to the previous build option. It will attempt to restore your computer to the previous Windows build, which could solve the problem you are experiencing.

Let me know if any of the repair methods worked. I apologize again if you have already tried them. Just let me know if the problem remains and I will check other suggestions.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I have tried all that before I reached out to you for help.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 28 days ago.

OK, no problem. Hold on...

Expert:  IT Miro replied 28 days ago.

Please tell me how exactly are you forcing the computer to go to the Safe Mode with Networking?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I have run a utility that verified the integrity of the SSD, The RAM and the hardware all checked out fine. Windows 10, in Safe Mode with networking is running fine. When reboot to normal in either is black screen with the blue windows logo OR black screen with blue windows logo and the blue dots spinning, giving the impression something is going on. I have given each scenario a few to many hours to run their course.
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I power it on. it gets stuck so I press the reset button which forces the box to do an "automatic repair" which is unsuccessful. It gives me an option to manually repair which the provides a path to boot in safe mode. I'm drawing a blank on the exact steps.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 28 days ago.

Thanks!

I am sure your SSD/HDD and memory works just fine. The problem is with Windows 10. It usually happens when one of the new Windows updates fail to install. Even though you say there haven't been any new updates recently, I suggest checking a list of recently installed updates. If you can see one that have been installed recently, you can uninstall it since it could have caused this problem.

To do that, right-click on the Windows Start button and select Programs and Features. When a new window opens, click on View installed updates located in the upper left corner. A list of all installed Windows updates will show. Maximize the window and then click on the Installed On column. That will sort the Windows updates by their installation date. Find all recently installed Windows updates and uninstall them one by one. Right-click on the update and select Uninstall.

When done, restart your computer and check the results.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Most recent updates allowed were done on 10/13/2016. The problem did not begin until 11/5/2016.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 28 days ago.

OK, in that case, no need to uninstall any Windows update; however, what you can do uninstall are the video/graphics card drivers. This could make sense since you mentioned changing or attempting to change a video card power cable. If something happened to the video card and Windows 10 won't load because of it, you can uninstall the video drivers and check if Windows 10 will be able to boot normally.

You can uninstall the video drivers in the Control Panel (Uninstall a program) and locating either nVidia or AMD software there, or you can do it via the Device Manager - expand the Display adapters category and uninstall the drivers from there (check the Delete the driver software for this device check-box) and click OK.

Restart your computer and check what happens.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
ok.
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Hang on.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 28 days ago.

Sure, take your time.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Still no joy in mudville.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 28 days ago.

Hmm. If you haven't already, please do a check disk.

1. Double-click on the This PC icon or the File Explorer icon and then click on "This PC" on the left pane

2. It will display all disk drives. Right-click on the Windows drive (it is usually the one with the C: letter) and select Properties

3. Click on the Tools tab. Under the Error checking section, click the Check button

4. Now click on Scan drive

Wait for a few minutes until the scan has been completed and then restart your computer.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Repair this drive Windows found errors on this drive that need to be repaired. Close this dialog box, and then repair the drive.OK. How?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 28 days ago.

Do the following:

1. Right-click on the Windows Start button and select Command Prompt (Admin)

2. Type or copy and paste this:

chkdsk C: /f

3. Press Enter

4. That is a command to scan and fix the errors for a particular drive; however, since C: is a Windows (system) drive, the errors cannot be fixed while it is in use. For that reason, you will get a message that you can schedule a disk check upon restart. So, type Y and and press Enter

5. Restart the computer to proceed with the disk check

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Scan disk /f ran, found nothing wrong. rebooted with same results.
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Sorry, chkdsk /f, not scan.
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Anything else before I blow it away and rebuild from scratch?
Expert:  IT Miro replied 28 days ago.

That's strange. I am not sure what caused that problem. I think I have suggested all repair suggestions there are. The last one I can suggest to you is probably the one you are trying to avoid - refreshing / re-installing Windows 10. What do you think about it?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
OK. I guess that's my only option.
Thank you.
Expert:  IT Miro replied 28 days ago.

Sorry for that, but it looks it is the only option. You can choose the Reset this PC option and Keep your files - that will refresh / re-install Windows 10 while keeping your personal files; however, you will need to re-install most programs afterward.