Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I've had my Surface Pro 4 about a month. Yesterday when I

Customer Question

I've had my Surface Pro 4 about a month. Yesterday when I turned it on, the initial screen displayed "Windows Hello has been blocked due to too many sign-in attempts. To unblock Hello, sign in with your pin. When I flick that screen up, the next screen displays my photo, name and the same message, but does NOT display an (expected) data entry box for the 4-digit pin. At this point I am locked-out. How can I recover / get past this problem.
JA: What kind of computer do you have?
Customer: Microsoft Surface Pro 4
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: The automatic update option is on. I have not personally installed any.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is all.
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 27 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.

Expert:  Michelle replied 27 days ago.

I am sorry to hear that you are having such trouble. I will try my best to help you out and resolve the problem as quick as possible.

Expert:  Michelle replied 27 days ago.

push and hold down the power button for 45 seconds it will shut down.

Unplug the ac adapter if connected while following the reset step.

Expert:  Michelle replied 27 days ago.

wait for 3 min and then power it back on and let me know what screen you are in.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
When I follow the sequence you requested, I get the initial screen described before with the message "Windows Hello has been blocked due to too many sign-in attempts. To unblock Hello, sign in with your PIN." Time and date are also displayed. When I flick this screen up, I find the second screen described before displaying my photo, name, email address and the same message. There is no text box to enter my pin. This screen will not flick up. (If the keyboard is detached, the on-screen keyboard is NOT displayed. The only active areas on the screen are three buttons on the lower right edge, "Connect to the internet; Ease of Access; and Shut Down". Pressing "Shut Down" displays the options Sleep: Shut down and Restart. If I select Shut down or Restart, I get the same screens described above. If, instead, I hold down the Shift key and press Restart, I get a screen named "Choose and Option" with buttons for "Continue -exit and continue to windows 10"; "Use a device - Use a USB drive, network connection or Windows recovery DVD"; "Troubleshoot - reset you PC or see advanced options"; "Turn of your ...". Selecting the first option leads to the screens described above. Selecting "Use a device" leads to a screen with that name and three options: "Internal Storage"; "USB Storage: and "PXE Network". Selecting "USB Storage" with no USB in place eventually leads to the previously described screens.Selecting the Troubleshoot" option from the earlier screen displays a screen by that name with two options: "Reset this PC -lets you choose to keep or remove your files, and then reinstalls Windows." and "Advanced options".Selecting the "Reset this PC" option leads to a screen by that name with two options: "Keep my files" and "Remove everything". Selecting "Keep my files" leads to a screen named Reset this PC with prompt "Enter the recovery key to get going again" along with a data entry box. Below the box is the information line: "To retrieve this key go to http://windows.microsoft.com/recoverykey from another PC or mobile device. In case you need it, the key ID is 72FAB9C3. Drive Label: DESKTOP-HECMSLP Local Disk 9/30/2016". I made an earlier atom to go to the Microsoft page indicated above, but there appeared to be no page by that name.More generally, the default sign-in process using facial recognition has worked very poorly for me. I usually flick up the initial screen attempting this to go to the second screen with the PIN sign-in process
Expert:  Michelle replied 26 days ago.

Thanks for the detailed information you have provided regarding the problem, I want you to try reset your Microsoft account password ***** the following link given below and then try to login to the Tab. Lets you the option to provide a pin as well. let me know the input device works to let you enter the password ***** the pin.

https://account.live.com/password/reset