Russell H., Computer Systems Expert
Experience:  13+ years experience
13568747

There has to be something wrong with my keyboard because

Customer Question

There has to be something wrong with my keyboard because when I type a letter the words that I am typing do not follow each other. letters just seem to bounce up a few lines into what I have already typed or they just don't type in t all. This is a brand new lap top bought two years ago but never hooked up because a Co. in India was hacking into my computer and then phoning me to say that they c ould fix it for me. I got stung Ill admit it but they have been calling me every week for about a uear now and then they crashed my computer. That is why I have had to use this lap top. Can you help me
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

I'm sorry to hear about the problems with your computer - that sounds like rather a lot to bear.
It does sound very much as if a virus has infected your computer.

I have a remedy to offer, if so, but it does not involve my controlling your computer remotely, nor my installing anything on it, nor does it involve selling you a care plan. Just a practical remedy that you can do yourself that makes good sense.

But before assuming a virus is on your computer, let's check on one thing:

- Are you typing into the MS Word program? because if so, MS Word's "auto-correction" function can interfere with what you are typing, and if the settings were extreme, it might possibly be doing what you are describing.

- But, if this happens even if you type into, for instance, either the

Notepad

program, or else the

WordPad

program (both very simple word processing programs included in almost all versions and types of Windows).... then you probably have a virus on your computer.

If you conclude that you have a virus, there is one necessary thing to do:

- get an (A) Firewall onto your computer, if you don't have one already. A good-quality one. Windows Firewall is NOT good enough, though it's not bad either. It's just not quite good enough nowadays.

- and get a (B) anti-virus program of good quality onto your computer, also. Windows Defender is not enough, neither is MalwareBytes, I'm sorry to say, though it's a tolerable tool for ex-post-facto analysis and such.

In such a case, I would recommend either getting

www.avast.com

which is free, and is both firewall and anti-virus, of good-enough quality, and without drawbacks/banner ads/spam/etc.

or perhaps

https://free.avg.com

which is at least a free anti-virus (though their firewall, of good quality enough, they charged money for last I heard.

Avast would do for anti-virus. Download it, install it, let it update, then run a Full Scan or a Deep Scan on the C: Hard Disk or C: Hard Drive... and after an hour or two, your computer should be cured.