Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

I keep having to reset my home page back to every time I

Customer Question

I keep having to reset my home page back to http://www.google.com every time I reboot. Otherwise it defaults to http://www.google.com. How do I fix it?
JA: What kind of computer do you have?
Customer: XP
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: I have Firefox set for automatic updates
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I just downloaded and ran ScanGuard because Malwarebytes and Avast just were not adequate. ScanGuard has improved response time and other things.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 1 month ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. What is the home page it keeps setting to?

Does this issue occur in Firefox?

Is Internet Explorer working fine?

Can you please click on Start -> Control Panel -> System (or System and security -> system) and confirm your windows version there?

Can we do a remote support session, so I can troubleshoot the issue directly on your computer together with you?
Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help. Thank you,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It keeps resetting to http://www.globasearch.com/serie=38
The issue occurs in Firefox. I never use Explorer except to download Firefox.
Windows XP Professional, Version 2002, Service Pack 3.
I would rather not have you login remotely.
I found a file "Avast-Browser-Cleanup-silent.log that appears to control the search engines and It looks like I can modify it, but I am nervous about doing it.
What say you?

I'm sorry. With remote support, it's quicker and easier for you as I will do all the troubleshooting steps for you, and you can watch all my steps. But no problem, let me provide some written steps first.

- In Firefox program, click on the 3-bar icon at the upper right corner in Firefox program, then click on the ? (question mark) icon at bottom, then click on option Troubleshooting Information, then click on option Refresh Firefox..., then click on Refresh Firefox. Then wait a bit, and check.

Please reply at the box below to continue. Thank you,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I found the line in an Avast file that had the bogus entry; I replaced it with the proper Google location and it's fine now. Thanks!

You're welcome. Great. You can also refresh Firefox (not uninstall/reinstall) in order to remove any bad extension in Firefox program. And/or once in awhile refreshing Firefox would make it work faster again.

Do you need help with any other computer question / issue today?

Please let me know. Thank you for the update.

If you need help with any other computer question / issue, please let me know any time. Also, can you please take a moment to rate my service by clicking on the 5-star icon at the top right of this page, then click on Submit. Thank you very much,