Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

Windows update hangs when searching for updates. I have this

Customer Question

Windows update hangs when searching for updates. I have this laptop on Windows 7 because some of my clients are still on that OS.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your computer? What version of Windows are you running?
Customer: Toshiba P770
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Windows 7 SP1.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I last updated in May 2016.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Lorenz Vauck replied 1 month ago.

Dear Client,

thank you very much for your question. My name is***** and I will be assisting you today.

The problem is, that if you install a completely fresh Windows 7, there are over 1000 updates that it needs to download. However, Microsoft has recently turned off most Windows 7 update servers to use them for Windows 10 instead, since they are going to discontinue updates for Windows 7 anyway soon. What we can do in this case (just did that for another client 2 days ago), is to install a roll-up package that includes most of the updates till middle of this year. It is rather difficult to install, but will get your Windows 7 updated. Afterwards, Windows Update will find the remaining updates rather quick within a few minutes and you then have a fully patched Windows 7 in the end. If you wish, I can set this all up for you via a remote connection, by directly doing it on your computer. Please let me know if that would help you and if you are interested.

Thanks for your patience and best regards,

Lorenz Vauck