Nathan, Systems Manager
Experience:  Own/operate computer networking/IT company.
59725966

Keeps reading wrong disc, Coby DVD player, NO, No it has

Customer Question

keeps reading wrong disc
JA: What kind of computer do you have?
Customer: Coby DVD player
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: NO
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No it has been playing fine until yesterday
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Which model player is this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
tf-DVD5000
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
tf dvd5000 model
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not interested in secured connection
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

That is fine, it is an automated ad and optional so you may disregard, than you for the model info.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

This type of problem is often caused by a contaminated laser lens. You can attempt to clean it by blowing out the disc tray/slot area with a can of compressed air for dusting computers (keep the can upright only so you don't get chemical propellant on the lens).

If this doesn't help, you can try a specialty cleaning disc (Allsop 23321 Ultra Pro Carbon-Edge DVD and CD-Drive Cleaner) which has little brushes that clean the lens more thoroughly.

Alternately, you can clean the little laser lens "bubble" inside with qtips and a bit of rubbing alcohol.

If neither of these cleaning steps help, then this is more likely a hardware fault, which could include a bad laser emitter or pickup, faulty spindle motor or laser transport, bad d/a converter, etc. Any of these issues would require repair/replacement.

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further, if needed.

Expert:  Nathan replied 28 days ago.

Hello, it appears your question is still open.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, just reply back on this page. If I’ve answered your question, please let me know you are satisfied, to conclude our session.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I do not wish to connect securly and my account has already been charged for this which I would like a credit for. I thought the original cost was $5.00.
Expert:  Nathan replied 28 days ago.

That is an automated offer you are seeing, not from me directly, it is part of the site and may be ignored if not wanted.

The fee is never only 5, that was the deposit to post your question on the site, with the balance of the agreed upon amount being charged upon corresponding with an expert, that is how the site works and those are the terms and fees you would have agreed to on the payment page. This is a paid support site, there is no free support, or any support for that matter, from coby, they went out of business years ago.

If you need more assistance, I'd be happy to help you further if more info is needed.

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I apologize this is not the outcome you had hoped for, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.

Expert:  Nathan replied 27 days ago.

Do you need more help with this?