Joseph Varner
Joseph Varner,
Experience:  Enterprise Support Specialist at Arthur J Gallagher
94318210

Error code: 0x85050041, hp laptop, i am in error. the

Customer Question

error code: 0x85050041
JA: What kind of computer do you have?
Customer: hp laptop
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: i am in error. the computer in question is an HP pc and monitor in one.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have been unable to connect to the internet for the last couple of days
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Barun replied 1 month ago.

Hi and thank you for your question.

Just to clarify, do you get this error code in the Windows 10 Mail app? Are you unable to connect to the Internet on your browser either?

Please reply at the box below, and then we will continue further.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am able to connect to the internet on my hp laptop but not on my hp pc and monitor in one
Expert:  Barun replied 1 month ago.

PS: Please do not accept any remote assistance offer (simply "X" it out) if it shows up on this page; it's sent out automatically by our site, and not by me. We do not need to do a remote session for your issue; I'll reply back to you below now.

Expert:  Barun replied 1 month ago.

I see, all right. On the HP PC, are you running Windows 10 now?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Barun replied 1 month ago.

Also as stated earlier, please do not worry about the automated remote assistance offer on this page; it's sent out automatically by our site and not by me. We won't be able to do a remote session on your PC (as it's not connected to the Internet) and so you will NOT be charged for the remote service either.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
are you saying you can not provide any assistance?
Expert:  Barun replied 1 month ago.

OK. Please do this on the PC now:

RIGHT-CLICK on the Start button at the bottom-left corner, and then click "Device Manager".

In the Device Manager window, double-click "Network Adapters" - do you see any WIFI device listed under it?

Do keep me posted.

Expert:  Barun replied 1 month ago.

Not at all, I'll continue to assist you further with resolving the issue on this page itself. Please carry out the above steps now, and let me know.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
wireless lan card
PCle FE family controller
Expert:  Barun replied 1 month ago.

OK; please right-click on the wireless lan card device and click Uninstall.

TICK the "Remove device software" checkbox when prompted, and then uninstall accordingly.

Done that, restart your computer once and check if you are able to connect to WIFI all right this time.

Do keep me posted; I'll be here.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i did not click on the software removal
Expert:  Barun replied 1 month ago.

Hmm, no issues - could you do a restart and check the WIFI again? Do let me know.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am restarting the computer now.
Expert:  Barun replied 1 month ago.

Okay, thanks; I'll be here. If it still does not connect, we will continue troubleshooting further.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
still no service
Expert:  Barun replied 1 month ago.

Okay. Just to clarify, when you click on the internet icon at the bottom-right corner of the screen, does it show as connected to your WIFI network? If so, does it provide any status as well, e.g. No Internet, connected?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no, it does not connect.
Expert:  Barun replied 1 month ago.

OK, could you go back to the Device Manager and then uninstall the WIFI device one more time, but this time TICK the "Remove driver software" checkbox as well when uninstalling? Done that, restart your computer one more time.

Also, please do this in the meantime as well: disconnect the power cable from your modem and/or router, wait for 60 seconds and re-connect the power cable. Do keep me posted on the results.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
computer restarting--
Expert:  Barun replied 1 month ago.

Okay; also, if you haven't already, please power cycle the router as well as directed above. Thanks, ***** ***** know.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
still no connection
Expert:  Barun replied 1 month ago.

OK, when did you first start having this issue with the PC? Also, I assume you power cycled the router as well now?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I think it was on Thursday that i experienced no-connect. I don't know about the action of the router
Expert:  Barun replied 1 month ago.

OK, please disconnect the power cable from your modem and/or router now, wait for 60 seconds and re-connect the power cable. Wait for the router lights to come back on, and then check the WIFI issue again. Do keep me posted on the results.

Expert:  Barun replied 1 month ago.

If the above steps don't work either, we will carry out a system restore on the PC next.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Barun replied 1 month ago.

Did you get my above replies (regarding rebooting the router)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have previously disconnected the router, by the way, this laptop I am using is on that router.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the router is now rebooting
Expert:  Barun replied 1 month ago.

OK, no issues. Now, on the PC, RIGHT-CLICK on the Start button at the bottom-left corner, and click RUN.

In the RUN box, type in rstrui and press ENTER.

In the System Restore window, select "Choose a different restore point" (if listed) and click Next.

Next, TICK "Show more restore points" (if listed), and then select a restore point dated BEFORE this issue first started. Click Next > Finish.

After the process completes, the PC will automatically restart - please check if this rolls back the issue all right, and let me know.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am sorry, I must leave.
Expert:  Barun replied 1 month ago.

Good bye.

Expert:  Joseph Varner replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I am taking over to assist.

Let me know when you get back if everything is working after the router reboot.