Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

Recently my laptop has been unable to find any surrounding

Customer Question

Hello! Recently my laptop has been unable to find any surrounding wifi networks regardless of where I am located. I have had a few different IT people look at it and update several wireless drivers, but this fix has only worked temporarily, and after an hour or 2 of using my laptop it can no longer find wifi at all
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your laptop, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: I have a Lenovo IBM ThinkPad S230u Twist Laptop PC Series running Windows 10
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Not that I can remember, but I have checked for updates since this issue started occurring and supposedly the system is up to date
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing that I can think of right now. Thank you!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Hi there and welcome

Are you able to tell me please what the IT people have already tried?

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have gone to the IT department at the University of Rhode Island, and I have seen Geek Squad at Best Buy
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Thank you

Can you please press the windows key + X and click on command prompt (admin)

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.

chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.

Then tell me if it sees networks now please

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am running the scan now. It is 38% complete so it looks like it is going to take sometime, but I will be sure to keep you updated as it progresses
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

thanks