Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I received a call from MS windows saying my license has

Customer Question

I received a call from MS windows saying my license has expired & I need to upgrade, I spoke with a tech to renew for 2 years, costing $349.99. Is this a scam? I got his phone at 1/***-***-****, which is a Caribbean cruise line.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 1 month ago.

Hi there and welcome

This is 100% a scam. This person was not working for Microsoft and Microsoft would never call you for no reason.
This is what is known as "phone phishing" it is can be a very serious problem if you do let them access your computer.
Basically what they will do is call a lot of phone numbers and say that you have problems. Any actual computer problems you have will be entirely coincidental. Usually what they will do is show you the windows error log which always shows a lot of errors but these are normal and on all windows computers, they are not viruses.
Next they log onto your computer and lie to you about the numerous problems they pretend to find. Next they will attempt to get you to pay a few hundred dollars to "fix" the issues when in fact they actually do nothing too helpful.

Always remember, no legitimate tech support company would ever call you. Your computer does not report to Microsoft or any other company so if any tech support person calls you can trust it is a scam and just hang up.

If you already paid them I would keep contacting your bank and see if you can have the charges reversed at you were mislead into believing it was microsoft who was calling. As I said no legitimate tech support company would ever call you, you would reach out to a tech professional if you needed help like you did just now with me.

Please do me a favor and take a moment to rate my service by clicking the stars above, 3 or more is very appreciated, we can still chat after rating if you need more help.

Thank you