Barun
Barun, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience in providing support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.
12615041

I have forgotten my admin passwod in windows 10, windows 10,

Customer Question

I have forgotten my admin passwod in windows 10
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your computer? What version of Windows are you running?
Customer: windows 10
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Barun replied 1 month ago.

Hi, and thank you for your question.

Just to clarify, are you unable to logon to your Windows user account itself? If so, would you like to carry out a system reset which will restore your computer back to factory settings and allow you to create and use a new account from now on?

Please reply at the box below, and then we will continue further.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
will that remove the old admin password?
Expert:  Barun replied 1 month ago.

PS: Please do not accept any remote assistance offer (simply "X" it out) if it shows up on this page; it's sent out automatically by our site, and not by me. We do not need to do a remote session for your issue; I'll reply back to you below now.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did X our the remote query
Expert:  Barun replied 1 month ago.

Yes, this will completely remove any existing accounts and their passwords, and will allow you to start afresh with a new admin account. Do keep me posted.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
tgat is what I want to do
Reset
Expert:  Barun replied 1 month ago.

OK, please boot up the system now; once at the Windows logon screen, do not logon to any account but let me know instead so I can follow up with further steps.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok
Expert:  Barun replied 1 month ago.

Once at the logon screen, HOLD down the Shift key on your keyboard and then click on the Power icon at the bottom-right and click "Restart" (while still holding down the key.)

Does this bring up a blue "Choose an option" screen?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
If I reboot how will Icontact you
Expert:  Barun replied 1 month ago.

Oh, are you currently replying to me on the same computer now?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Barun replied 1 month ago.

OK; in that case, could you let me know where you are being prompted for the admin password? Does it list any email address for the admin account itself?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have two log in accounts, one as a user and one as administrator. I want to add a new user but have to log in s administrator and that is the password ***** have forgotten
Expert:  Barun replied 1 month ago.

Oh, I see. In that case, let me provide you with the complete steps to reset your system after rebooting; after the process is completed, you may update me on the results on this question page, which you will be able access anytime through your emails received from JustAnswer. Please stand by.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is there a generic password ***** I can use to override the existing one?
Expert:  Barun replied 1 month ago.

Please see my above reply - typing up further directions now. Also in the meantime, could you let me know if the administrator account lists any email address at all at the Windows logon screen?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no only on my user account
Expert:  Barun replied 1 month ago.

OK. Now, please restart your computer.

Once at the Windows logon screen, click on the Power icon at the bottom-right, and then HOLD down the Shift key on your keyboard and click "Restart".

A blue "Choose an option" screen will come up. There, click TROUBLESHOOT > RESET THIS PC.

Next, click REMOVE EVERYTHING > JUST REMOVE MY FILES.

Done that, the system reset process will take a couple of hours to complete, after which you will be able to start afresh with a new admin account accordingly.

Expert:  Barun replied 1 month ago.

If you need more help, please use the Reply box below to continue our conversation.

Otherwise, kindly take a moment to rate my service by submitting one of the five stars at the top of this page - this is the only way I'll receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok I will try that.. if it does not work, how should I get back to you
Expert:  Barun replied 1 month ago.

OK; after the process completes, you may update me on the results on this question page itself. You will be able to access this page anytime later on through your emails received from JustAnswer. I'll be here; thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  Barun replied 1 month ago.

No problem; good luck, and do keep me posted!