Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

Cannot access yahoo account because I need to change phone

Customer Question

Cannot access yahoo account because I need to change phone number to receive Keys to get in. My listed phone does not get texts.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Bruce Wilner replied 4 months ago.

If your listed phone number does not get texts, you are in minor trouble. You didn't read the account preconditions.

Modify your service to accept texts. Once you've gotten everything fixed up, you can drop the capability.

"Keys"? I never heard of "keys" to get in. Passwords, verification codes--not "keys."

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Dear expert, I used the word "keys" instead of codes or whatever yahoo sends to unlock my account. They do not accept my current password ***** original password. I am on my I pad in the hospital. Can you help?

I think I suggested a course of action. Change your phone plan to support text messaging so that you can receive the required material.

Once you have reset the account, you can feel free to drop text service on the phone.

I don't mean to hammer you about "keys," but sometimes untold confusion is caused by use of non-standard terminology. I endeavor to know exactly what you're discussing, and there are no keys in a password ***** scenario!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

icannot get text service on my home phone period. I wanted to add my cell phone to my yahoo account but cannot get in. Where is your help?

I am afraid you're out of luck.

When you created the account, you were clearly warned about all of these circumstances: have a phone that is capable of receiving text messages, etc.

I don't know what to tell you other than to be more careful. In thirty-odd years of using computers, including as a high-school student, I have never found myself in your situation.

Hold your horses.

Your latest report is that you wanted to ADD your cell phone number.

If the current phone number is ***** why are you having trouble getting in? Further, if you can't get in--meaning that the account is (for all intents and purposes, even if for now) useless to you--what purpose does ADDING a phone number serve?

Also, if you never noticed that anything was wrong until you one day obtained a new phone, it doesn't sound like the account is of TERRIFIC importance to you. Just create a new one . . . and be careful to read the account conditions carefully.

Some CLEAR indication of what is wrong (that doesn't contradict itself from one posting to the next) might be helpful.

Thank you for your cooperation. The solution is only as good as the diagnosis, which is only as good as the fidelity of the reported symptoms and circumstances.