Jins M. N.
Jins M. N., Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Qualified Computer Professional - 12+ years experience. Expert in Computer Hardware & Graphic Design
50064670

I want to keep my microphone on instead of having it

Customer Question

I want to keep my microphone on instead of having it automatically go to sleep. Either that or I want the time period of the Mike on to be extended for a much longer length of time. How do I do that?
JA: What kind of computer do you have?
Customer: Macintosh OS X
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: no. Because I have an old operating system and I don't want to update it because of certain software programs that would be expensive to replace Would be lost if I updated the operating system. is it possible to update dictate while I'm using OS X?
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Please tell me first, what is your 'old' operating system? the 10.x version #, or the common nickname of it, I mean.

I presume you are finding that the camera goes dead while using Dictate for long periods. What version of Dictate do you have, currently, please?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
10.8.5
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What do you mean by camera? I am talking about the microphone shutting off.Version of dictate is 3.0 .4

Good. That's not very old as MAC OS X systems go.

I'm sorry! I used the wrong word. I'm aware that your question is about a microphone.

(What microphone are you using? how long does it take to time-out, roughly?)

Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am using a Jabra microphone

How long does it take to time-out roughly, please?

I am looking up whether you can update Dictate without updating MAC OS X beyond 10.8.5...

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It takes about two minutes for the microphone to shut off if I am not speaking.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It really interrupt my flow of thoughts in writing
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you there?

OK. That may be a feature, and it may be configurable.

I need to ask whether you are using a laptop, or a desktop computer ?

And, is your Jabra microphone a USB microphone, or plugged into the sound/microphone jack?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am not sure what you mean. The microphone is plugged into the back of computer

Is the plug on the microphone rectangular or 'flat' ?

Or is it a round plug?

Please unplug it for the moment and examine it to be sure. Thanks.

(Then plug it in again.)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's flat
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
More exactly, the microphone is a Jabra UC voice 550 MS mono

Good. Plug the microphone back in, verify that it is still working.

As for your version of Dictate... the official word from Dragon's site is,

Dragon Dictate 4 is compatible with OS X 10.8

To check for whether you can update to Dictate 4, go to

Dictate menu

and select

"Check for updates..."

Let me know how things go, and whether you see a message (eventually) that (probably falsely!) requires that you update MAC OS X to update Dictate.

By the way, Dictate 3.x is compatible with OS X versions up to 10.9.

Dictate 4 would be compatible up to 10.10.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When I check for updates it says that I am up-to-date
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you there

Is your version of Dictate still 3.x ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
3.0 .4

Then I must apologize: this problem is not documented in that version. And I have nothing further to suggest on the subject. I have Opted Out, opening the case (having established the details - it is probably an in-depth settings problem with Dragon Dictate 3 settings and/or configuration files -) to other Experts in this category, in case one of them has the further details needed to solve this problem.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was just contacted and given the message that a new assistant would be connecting with me regarding continued help on my problem, but no new information is appearing on the screen. What's up?
Expert:  Bruce Wilner replied 1 month ago.

Howdy.

I have never heard of a microphone "going to sleep." They are passive devices, and they don't do that (to conserve power), as there's no power to conserve.

That having been said, they typically wait for a voice to be present before starting up. That means that a fraction of a second can be lost, which can actually be significant, even an initial consonant or two. There's really no workaround for that.

Well, the "workaround" is to start up your session by saying "pthf - pthf - pthf - " into the microphone to activate it, then start talking normally.

Expert:  Jins M. N. replied 1 month ago.

Hello Sir/Madam. Thank you very much for giving us an opportunity to help you. I am Jins here to assist you. Please remember these things when we deal with your issue. It may take more than one step/answer to solve a problem. So If my answers don’t work or if you are not satisfied, please don’t Rate my answer as Bad or Poor Service, but please Reply back to me by clicking the “Continue Conversation” or “Reply” button and I will gladly continue to help. Remember, only Rate answer after you are 100% Satisfied. Please do not rate an answer, if you are not satisfied.

Can I remote onto your Machine and have a look at your problem? It’s fully secure and you can see what I am doing at all times. If you wish please accept my remote support offer and let me know your time zone and the time period you prefer for remote support. Then I can send you the details to connect.

Regards
Jins

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Nobody answered my question! I don't want anybody accessing my desktop. The last person to answer my question said he had never heard of the microphone going to sleep! He didn't even understand that I was referring to using though Nuance Dictate program and the fact that the microphone automatically goes to sleep when you're not talking. I wanted to see if there was a way to keep it on all the time. Three different people contacted me, but no one found a solution. I don't want any charges to my account, and I don't want any future charges. I want a refund of the fee for the question that I asked and I don't want to have to go through a lot of crap just to get the refund or to get future charges removed from my account. You guys are a rip off!