Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

Mouse stopped grabbing and moving screen in games, won't

Customer Question

mouse stopped grabbing and moving screen in games, won't highlight objects either
JA: Does your mouse work as expected for other tasks and is your keyboard still operating?
Customer: yes
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: after change in mouse, uninstalled flasher and reinstalled beta version
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: scanned for virus and negative, rebooted several times
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 month ago.

I am sorry to hear that you are having such trouble. I will try my best to help you out and resolve the problem as quick as possible.

may i know which game you are playing and what is the make and model of the mouse you are using?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
facebook games....coral isle, riddle stone, color cross, etc
mac computer OS X el capitan
bluetooth mouse, apple but not sure of specific one, came with computer
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 month ago.

what is the mac model number of the computer?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hardware Overview:Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac11,3
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: IM112.0057.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.59f2
Serial Number (system): W80420QZDB5
Hardware UUID: 6DB7CD83-3A92-51AD-819B-F2D9877ED317
is this what u need?
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 month ago.

Choose Apple menu > System Preferences > Bluetooth and make sure that Bluetooth is turned on. ... Bluetooth turned on, but there are no devices connected to the Mac. See the Make sure the wireless mouse or keyboard is turned on section of this article. Bluetooth turned on and at least one wireless device is connected

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
keyboard and mouse connected
functioning as expected except for above problem
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 month ago.

its works fine on all other programs except the online games?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 month ago.

playing on Safari browser or any other?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no...just firefox
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 month ago.

Open safari login to facebook and launch the game on safari browser check if the problem still in Safari.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
same thing
Expert:  Michelle replied 1 month ago.

same in safari as well?

Expert:  Michelle replied 1 month ago.

I will open the question to other experts for the inputs as i am out of ideas.

Expert:  Bruce Wilner replied 1 month ago.

Hi. Perhaps I can be of assistance.

This sounds awfully suspicious to me. If the mouse works, it works everywhere; if it doesn't work, it doesn't work anywhere.

Are you sure that, when you launch these games, keyboard focus is actually within the game window? In other words, the mouse has to be within screen "real estate" that is controlled by the game in order for its events (motions and clicks) to be posted to that application. If the mouse isn't focused anywhere, mouse events will be silently ignored.

You should also know that you are far from the first person to report this with respect to Facebook games. I wonder if some Facebook setting (these games are implemented in Flash, I believe) controls the disposition of the mouse.

I'm so happy that people have mouse problems with critically important tasks, like playing Facebook games, and not with tasks of minor significance, like getting work done.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thx i think
mouse works in game but not like it is supposed to
normally would highlight an object to interact with but now it doesn't, i can click on the object to highlight it and then interact
normally could "grab" screen and move background to different location in game, now cannot
suspect it is related to some control of mouse but haven't been able to fix itI'm also very happy that the most "stress" in your life is supposedly helping less tech savvy people correct such "critically important tasks" like playing Facebook games. My "getting work done" doesn't involve a mouse at all. i just take a little insignificant piece of steel to someones skin and save their life on a daily basis. At least I can say I help people and love my job.