Dan, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  25 Years working with computer troubleshooting and networking. Comp TIA A-Plus Certified.
1567601

I have an old google email account that I want to use again

Customer Question

I have an old google email account that I want to use again but I am having trouble recovering the account
JA: Just to clarify, what email service provider are you using for this account?
Customer: I have Comcast and I am using online access to google email
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: it is not an update issue - it is just that it won't accept the last password ***** I remember
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I look forward to assisting you today. How long has it been since you have accessed the account?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
several years, but according to google the account still exists
are you able to access google accounts
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I do not need assistance that you can provide by accessing my computer - all I need is to be able to access my old google email account
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Normally, Google will deactivate an account after approximately 9 months. Disregard the Premium Service offer. That is automated coming from the web site and not from me.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

What is your gmail address?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not really - I have another gmail account that I dod not access for a long time and I was able to get into it. They would not have reassigned my account either and the site still says the account exists
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
are you a google tech - when I looked on line for the goole email support, it sent me to you
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

No. We are an independent support service. Since Google is a free service, they provide very little if any support to the end user.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Have you tried the Google account recovery link?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Then how would you be able to help me. I know an old password, but it sends the response to some email address - probably one I do not have anymore.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I tried the forgot password ***** - see last response
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

I can tell you from experience if you cannot answer enough questions correctly from Google to recover your account, it will be nearly impossible. Try this link and see if it is any help.

https://accounts.google.com/signin/recovery

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This is what I tried. It wants an alternate email account and the hints it gives to that account are not an email I remember having. Then it asks what my favorite band is - no idea what I would have put for that so I asked for a different question - it asks for an email account - I give it one - it sends a code - I put in the code - it tells me it cannot verify that it is my account
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Before it says it will send an email to the account I do not recognize, it asks for the last password ***** remember. It accepts that answer, so I think the account is still there and could be reactivated.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Well that is what I have experienced with folks before. The following is right out of the Google policy: "Unfortunately, if you have forgotten both your Gmail password ***** security questions, account recovery is basically impossible."

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just spent $40 thinking I was talking to a Google Support Tech. Disappointing.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Not really. Your deposit is fully refundable. I am just trying to assist the best way I can and have had many folks like yourself in the same boat. If you don't remember to update your account with any of the free email services they will all end up like this. You can request a refund from customer service at any time.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
well thanks anyway. Do you know how many times I can get an answer wrong before it freezes the account? I have no idea what I would have answered to favorite band question, but could try some possible answers. I was willing to pay the $40 to not have the account freeze up.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Provided the account actually still exists, there is none that I am aware of. Have you tried sending a test email to that address to see if it bounces back?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Now that's an idea. Will try it.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Try it form several different accounts if you can.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Tried it from two accounts. It did not bounce back, so account must still be active.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Possibly but it may take some time or not bounce at all. Not to rain on your parade, but I have seen that as well and sometimes take up to 24 hours to come back.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Raining here! Any other ideas that might get me in?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Sorry there just aren't any. If you search else where, be cautious as you will probably find an 800 number that claims to be Google tech support or some service that claims to be able to get you access. None of them are connected with Google!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for that. And thanks for trying.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

My pleasure! Would you like me to open your question to other experts to see if anyone else has any ideas?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sure - as long as it isn't an online posted help group. Don't really want the conversation out there. It just seems like if I have an accurate past password, I should be able to get in.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

No. It only opens it to other experts here on this site.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Perfect. Go for it.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

Good luck!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks. This is the hint for the email address they asked me to provide...have you ever heard of an email server that starts with a 0? c••••@0•.••
Expert:  Dan replied 1 month ago.

My apologies for the delay, but since I opened the question to other experts it took awhile to find me. No I have not heard of an address like the one you posted! Be very cautious just to make sure you are not being routed somewhere you don't want to be.