Kevin T
Kevin T, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  IT Manager at Wood Group PSN
94743361

My google voicemail is also on my regular phone number. I

Customer Question

My google voicemail is also on my regular phone number. I used to be able to have one voicemail for the google number and one voicemail for my personal phone. Now I just get the google voicemail on both accounts.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Kevin T replied 1 month ago.

How's it going.
Let me read of your question. Give me a minute.

Expert:  Kevin T replied 1 month ago.

What type of phone is this

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's an iPhone 7 plus
Expert:  Kevin T replied 1 month ago.

Is it the greeting you are trying to change?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No. when someone calls my personal number, they get my google voicemail
Expert:  Kevin T replied 1 month ago.

I understand, it's not possible I'm afraid.

You cannot have different greetings based on what number the person called. What you can do is have a different greeting based on the phone number they are calling from.
Once you set up groups, you can record a more neutral, professional greeting as your default greeting, and then a more casual friendly one for contacts that you put in groups.

I've activated the rate box at the top right If you could rate me so I get credit for helping you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How come the people I work with have a greeting for their work number and a different greeting for their personal number. I used to have that too. It's two different numbers.
Expert:  Kevin T replied 1 month ago.

Are they on Iphone? I would suspect they are android.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
they are. I've always been on iPhone and was able to have two different voicemails. It was about 6 months ago that it stopped. I'm just trying to get it fixed now.
Expert:  Kevin T replied 1 month ago.

Expert:  Kevin T replied 1 month ago.

Ahh, I get you.

Select 'on' for call screening to keep callers that dial your GV number from getting your other voicemail: https://www.google.com/voice#callsettings

When you turn on call screening you will need to press a '1' for incoming callers to be connected. Otherwise with call screening off the caller will be connected automatically when answered by anything including your cell phone voicemail before about 25 seconds into the call. The 25 second time is not adjustable. With call screening off this setting can cause people to get your cell phone voicemail if it picks up too quickly (like when you hit the ignore call button on your phone, your phone is off, out of range or busy without call waiting) instead of the Google voicemail.

Your other option is to contact your cell phone provider and see if the voicemail can be disabled or wait longer before answering the call.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's asking me for a rating. How should I rate you if I still have the same problem?
Expert:  Kevin T replied 1 month ago.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That's the same answer as I received before. My work vm comes up when someone calls my personal phone number.