Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

I tried to reset the system on my TP T520. There were two

Customer Question

I tried to reset the system on my TP T520. There were two reset possibilities: one would take more 24hous or more, the other a few hours. I selected the quicker setup which would reset get rid of my aps and data files and restore the original system. I chose the disc with windows. The computer was originally win 7 upgraded to windows 10. There was another partition with win 7 but I left that alone. After about 5 hours, the operation said it was 2 % complete. I shut it down. When I starte it up, It asked if I wanted to reset. I chose reset and the opening screen came up (thinkpad: to interrupt normal startup, press the blue thinkvantage button) and then went to black (gray actually) and kept recycling. Pressing the blue thinkvantage button or f10,f11 or f8 did not stop the constant recycling.How can I get this working again. I do not have a start up disc. At least I havent found one. The computer belonged to someone who is deceased so I could search for such a disc if necessary.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your ThinkPad?
Customer: it is a T520 Id4239CTO
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: It installed updates right before I attempted to reset the system.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: It had been running slow and was somewhat unresponsive. the built in mouse system didn't work properly but an external mouse I added worked pretty well.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you please remove the power cable to the Thinkvantage and then hold the power button down for 60 seconds then release.

Once done, connect the power cable and power it on and tell me please what then happens.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It continues to cycle throught the start up screen as before.
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

Thanks

Power it off, then power it on and keep tapping F11 until you get to the recovery manager

Are you able to get to it this way?