Richard, Computer Specialist
Experience:  Over 20 years of consulting to the IT industry
32989067

Since I got my new modem from xfinity my wireless printer

Customer Question

Since I got my new modem from xfinity my wireless printer doesn't work anymore. It was working fine with the old xfinity modem and apple modem together. Now just using xfinity modem.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. What's the model of your printer?

What's the model of your new modem?

Does it let you go to the network / wireless, etc. option on the printer device?

Please reply at the box below. Thank you,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Printer - HP c4385
It has only a minimal display. When I run the test it says SSID Found - FAIL
modem is Xfinity equipment - not sure what model #I can go to "hp setup" under the wifi on my computer and it will work sometimes.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm on a mac computer.

Thank you. Do you see the application called HP Device Manager in Finder -> Applications -> HP...?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't see hp device manager in applications.

Can you please click on the Apple logo / menu at the top, then click on About this Mac..., then tell me your Mac OS X version number there, such as 10.6, 10.7, ...., 10.10, 10.11, etc.? Thank you,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
yosemite 10.10.5

Do you also happen to have a Windows computer?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No. just mac

Thank you. Can you please click on the HP website below:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software10/COL30072/oj-74785-1/HP_Installer_Photosmart_Full_Group01_10.3.dmg

, then once the download is finished, open the download file HP_Installer_Photosmart_Full_Group01_10.3.dmg, and install it

, when prompted during installation, select the wireless option and continue.

Please let me know. Thank you,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
FYI - I'm talking to you on my work laptop and trying to fix on home laptop. When I entered the link it wouldn't take me to a website.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When i search for the driver on home laptop it leads me to place where it says - "Install the HP Printer Driver and Software provided within your operating system."

Sorry, can you please go to your email on your home laptop, then click on the View My Response link in my email message in order to communicate with me at this web page on your home laptop? Thank you,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
won't open because from "unidentified developer".

Sorry, please click on the Apple menu > System Preferences… > Security & Privacy, then click on the General tab at the top, then click on the lock icon at bottom left as needed to unlock, then click on the option Anywhere

, then open the download file HP_Installer_Photosmart_Full_Group01_10.3.dmg, and run / install it

Please let me know. Thank you,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
software is not finding device

Does it give you any option to set up wireless during the installation?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no. Introduction, user agreement, then screen where my device is suppose to show up. It said if device not listed, I might need to plug it to printer with usb.

Sorry, do you have a USB printer cable we can use temporarily for setting up wireless?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
plugged up and it recognized it. beginning to install more now.

Great, it's looking good. It's using the USB printer cable temporarily for setting up wireless.

When prompted, make sure to select wireless option, etc.

Please let me know. Thank you,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
chose wireless then installer quit unexpectedly. Should I try again?

Sorry, try again please. Thank you,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
quit again at exactly same time in process.

Sorry. Do you see the application called HP Device Manager in Finder -> Applications -> HP... now?

Does your work laptop have Windows or Mac? Does your work laptop let you install anything?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
work is mac also. need work admin password ***** work to install.hp setup assistant is there. Going through that - i'm not seeing wireless option.

During HP Setup Assistant, what option does it give you?

Do you also have any other computer at home?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no other computers. It did have wireless option just on the next step from where I was. still quit right after I chose wireless and hit continue.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I need to stop working on this now. Probably be a couple days before I can try again. How does that work with you guys?

Sorry, OK. I've emailed you, so you can get back to me at this web page by using the View My Answer link in our email message. Thank you very much for your patience,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
How much am I charged for this right now?

I'm the tech, so I'll have our customer service email you about the billing, but the amount should be what you've agreed to. If you have any concern, please reply back any time. Thank you,

Expert:  Richard replied 4 months ago.

Hi there and welcome

Can you do the following on the Mac and then try to install it via USB (and connect to wireless during the setup)

Power off the mac

Then start the Mac and hold down the Command and R keys at startup.

Hold these keys until the Apple logo appears. After your computer finishes starting up, you should see a desktop with an OS X menu bar and an OS X Utilities window

choose Disk Utility from the Utilities window, or from the Installer menu if you're started from an installation disc.

Click the First Aid tab.

Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

Select your Startup Disk (usually named "Macintosh HD").

Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

Let this complete and when it has, tell me if you still have the problem please.