Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I speak PC fluently, so you dont have to! Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

My desktop is stuck at "select keyboard layout" but the

Customer Question

My desktop is stuck at "select keyboard layout" but the mouse doesn't work. I have a blue screen
JA: How much experience do you have with this particular machine?
Customer: I'm pretty familir
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Yes a driver for the printer. It worked then I mistakenly shut down while it was trying to restart
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: It just won't turn on past error message. That's all
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

To get started, I need to know what type of computer you are using, a Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10 or a Mac.

If its a Mac, please check the OSX version as follows, Click the apple sign at the top left of your screen, then click about this mac. And then where it says version, send that to me as a reply.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
A pc with windows 10
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

Thank you.. Since this was just working before you downloaded the driver.. Lets turn back the clock.. The system restore below will not erase your Pictures, programs, or files.. And if we dont like the outcome.. We can undo it.

we need to do this special trick to force a repair screen.

Start the computer, then immediately press and hold power to shut it down.

repeat that 4 times, and then the last time when you start the computer do not press and hold power.

It should go to a blue screen menu. On the blue screen menu, Choose troubleshooting, advanced, and then choose system restore.

Once system restore loads, choose a restore point that was one day before this problem started and then carry out the system restore.

That should fix the issue, but if you get stuck or this doesnt work then please send a detailed reply and I will assist you further as needed.

And if this does work please remember to return here, click and submit a 5 star rating to show I was able to help you solve the problem!

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That didn't work. I get....
1. Your pc ran into a problem and needs to restart
2. It restarts and says preparing automatic repair
3. Blue screen...choose your keyboard layout. Not able to use mouse for selection
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

You will have to repeat the first steps..

And to clarify, when you power the machine on and it shows power, you must then Press and hold power, the physical power button until it drops power. Dont just tap the power button.. press and hold it.

Repeat that 4 times and on the fourth time when you press power, we should get a new screen

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Nothing is working :-(
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

Is this a desktop, or a laptop?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Laptop. The first error message says "unmountable boot volume" then I get error on blue screen about keyboard layout.
A friends did downloaded on a disk the windows 10 ISO file, but computer doesn't look there to read.
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

What model of laptop is it? Name brand and model if you could that way I know precisely what we are working with.

D.S

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
A gateway desktop dx4320-39. 64-bit
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

For it to say unmountable boot volume..

Did you go into the Bios settings menu via the f1 or f2 keys and change or tinker with your boot order, or boot modes?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I tried before I got this error message. My computer has been down since last Tuesday. I searched this error message online and was told I needed this windows file. but nothing works. Trying to tackle it again online and found this site for help.
Online said I needed this windows file, but the computer isn't reading from the disk drive.
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

The computer cannot read an ISO file directly..

It has to be burnt to a USB or a DVD using a special program.. You cant just copy the iso file onto the disk and expect it to work.

With that being said, Lets try this.. Shut down your gateway, start it and immediately tap F1.

Then, we need to load defaults, save and exit.

Once done, let the computer try to start and tell me what happens next.

D.S

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
F1 does nothing for me.
When I turn on I have 2 options:
Del=enter setup
F12=boot menu
So I did F12 for boot menu. There is an option (which I selected) was to hit ESC to boot using defaults.
The computer says "preparing to automatically repair" then I loop back in errors.
Another option once it starts is control f to enter RAID (??whatever that means)
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

Lets try delete to enter setup.

Here is where we need to load defaults and exit.. In the bios screen.

Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

Also, It could be your BCD or boot file is borked.. You mentioned you created a Windows ISO disk.. So I take it you have a second windows PC nearby you and I could use to make a proper boot disk?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Oh boy. I'm just looping the blue screen :-(
Could my motherboard be damaged? A friend think that could be.
Oddly all was fine until I connected a printer and drivers. Everything was good for about 2 days until mid steam working my computer went to restart. It took so long that I (foolishly) powered off thinking my computer was stuck. Now I'm totally stuck.
I have windows 10 through the free upgrade as I was given windows when I bought the computer. Would buying the program and loading it (which is expensive) fix this problem?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My laptop has no cd/DVD burner. A friends made it for me yesterday
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

I definitely do not think its your motherboard.. What we need to do here is create a proper repair DVD or USB.

The iso file you had, was it for your same exact version of windows 10?

If so, we need this free program called rufus.. This will make a bootable USB drive we can reinstall or repair windows with.. ( using the same iso file )

http://rufus.akeo.ie/

Or, if you need or want to stick with a DVD.. You need this specific program to burn that iso image to the disk properly

http://imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

From this page, use mirror 7 for the download. With that being said..

If you let me know when you will be with your friend again or if you talk to your friend and can forward me t heir contact details.. i can work with them to insure that we have the cd or USB formatted correctly.

And then you and I can continue with the repair or reinstall steps using the correctly formatted cd or usb..

Dustin S.

Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

And speaking of your laptop.. If you have a spare usb drive at least 4 gigabytes in size.. We can use your laptop to make a bootable usb, exactly the same as a bootable cd.. So if you have a working machine and a USB thumbdrive, thats an option you and I can proceed with now.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have both. So that may work
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

All right.. if needed, I can connect and do this for you..

First, we need a windows 10 iso.. I assume you have an iso image on the CD?

Can you insert the cd into your current computer.. Then, explore the file on the cd and tell me if it shows a windows image or .iso file?

If so, whats the exact name of the iso file on that cd?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Oh boy. There is no ISO file. There is one file that says Media Creation Tool.
Sigh. Looks like nothing is working today :-(
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

No worries.. The media creation tool is microsofts version of the tool thats supposed to Make the cd...

Your friend was moving in the right direction, but taking steps like this are foreign to most people and mistakes will happen..

So heres what we need to do.

Download the tool on this page to your computer.. Then, open and run the tool and tell it to make a USB.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

if you get stuck at any point, let me know! Consider the download and creation takes about 1 hour with reasonably fast internet..

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok this is so weird....everything with my systems are weird today.
My thumb drive is 28GB and the file only needs 4gb, but it's not recognized. The windows link says it doesn't see any drives. But when I say make the ISO to burn on a DVD, the drive is recognized.
Is this ok? If so I've started the download and it's 20%
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

Lets just focus on the download first.

Then next.. If you go to your my computer screen..Do you see the drive listed nearby your C drive?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I see the drive listed.
The download has completed the first phase and then it started to verify. Now it's "creating windows 10 media." It's not at 46%.
Earlier you said you could connect to my computer, would do be faster and easier?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The file is completed. I have it on the USB thumb drive. It's called NTI ISO file
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

My apologies for the delay.. Its gotten quite a bit late my time..

Would you mind greatly if we continued tomorrow? Ill be working throughout the weekend.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok. No problem with the time.
Unfortunately I work tomorrow and won't be home until late. I'm new to this forum, so I don't know how to reconnect with you.
I presume you don't work on Sunday so I can try to reach you on Monday evening.
Thank you.
(You think this is fixable or I will need to take my computer to the shop....which is NOT my preference) ūüėÄ
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

I think that you and I are capable of performing any steps they would perform at a shop.

If you did not have access to a second computer, that would not be the case.. but it is the case that you have a second computer and a USB drive. So we should be able to do nearly anything a shop can do.

Ill look forward to working with you Monday.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello Dustin. I just walked in my house and ready to tackle my computer issue again ūüėÄ
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

Hello again.. I ended my shift a bit early yesterday, and Im starting a bit early today.

When you can, send a reply and let me know when you might want to try and continue, thank you.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello. I am here.If tonight doesn't work, I am free tomorrow 9am-2:30pm PST.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am writing to see if you're available