Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I have an HP Pavillion computer that has been working great;

Customer Question

I have an HP Pavillion computer that has been working great; however, yesterday I installed the latest version of Trend Micro, and also put the latest Halllmark Cards Software on. The computer was working fine, until I was asked to change my password. I tried doing that and now I get nothing on the screen but the background picture (absolutely no icons), and no where to put my password ***** The small wheel just keeps spinning around with nothing else showing. I have tried rebooting, pressing ctr, alt, delete, and anything else I can come up with, but nothing happens. Is there another way I can get into my computer. Thank you, Bev
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 month ago.

Hi Bev. My name is*****'m sorry that you're having this problem. It would be my pleasure to help you. Let's begin with the simplest possible fixes. Please press and hold the power button until the machine completely powers off. All lights should go off. Wait a couple of minutes, then restart it and see if it brings it up correctly. If it doesn't we will restart it in safe mode to try and correct the problem. Give it a try and let me know the results please.

Expert:  GeekGal replied 1 month ago.

Please follow the steps below to boot into SAFE MODE if needed.

1. Turn on the computer.

2. Press the F8 key repeatedly when the first screen appears.

3. From the Windows Advanced Options Menu, use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode (Note: Please choose SafeMode with networking if available) , and press ENTER .

When the Windows desktop appears, Safe Mode is displayed in the four corners of the screen and the desktop might look different than it usually does.

If you can get into safe mode with networking I can remotely connect to you computer and repair the problem for you while you watch.