Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.

I suspect that I may have been dupped but am hoping not. On

Customer Question

I suspect that I may have been dupped but am hoping not. On Sunday, my computer crashed after Windows 10 loaded and locked up on me. There was a drop down message that informed me not to try to use the computer but to call a specific number which I did. I was told that whenever there is a Windows download, it can activate any viruses that are running in the background. These people (CAPSLOCK IT SOLUTIONS) (Florida Mall Business Center, 1500 West Sand Lake Road, Orlando FL) identified themselves as a Microsoft approved service organization. They worked on my computer for a couple of hours and I paid $400 for a 3-year security and support plan. Your thoughts please.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 9 days ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. That was certainly a scam. That was a fake popup message. Usually, you just shut down / restart the computer and the issue should be resolved. Please always ignore any popup window message (or email message or phone call) that you do not know or that you are not expecting.

Can you do a system restore and select the date before this issue first occur, and change your important account passwords, such as email, facebook, online banking, etc., if you use?

Please reply at the box below to continue. Thank you,

Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 8 days ago.

To do a system restore, press at the same time the two keys Windows logo and R on the computer's keyboard, then type rstrui then click OK, then the System Restore window should open. Then select the option Choose a different restore point at bottom, if shown. Then click on Next, and restore the computer to any date before this issue first occurred.

- If you do not know how to change any password ***** yours, please let me know, so I can provide the instructions.

- Also, whenever you need computer support, you would contact a support company yourself. No legitimate company would contact you randomly nor they would display popup messages automatically on your computer's screen.

- For more details about Microsoft support scams, please click on the website below:

- Do you have any further question? And/or do you need help with any other computer question / issue today?

When you are available, please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you,