Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

Can't copy and paste any longer with win7. states windows

Customer Question

can't copy and paste any longer with win7. states windows explorer is restarting EVERY time I try!!!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Isaac Franklin replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

If you have tried everything on the internet, it may be easier to just connect and have your expert try to resolve it.

The steps may seem repetitive, viewing them. I will send the offer. If you do not want this, we can continue written

here and just ignore the offer.

Please reply with your computer make/model.

And how long this has been happening.

and if you reset IE already back to defaults yet.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have an Acer Aspire and its been happening a couple of weeks now. Not sure exactly how to reset IE back to defaults. How would this interfere with win explorer??

When you copy/paste, what program are you in? notepad, firefox, word, etc?

Where are you trying to copy to and from?

Have you tried this option yet?

Navigate to this folder (assuming your Windows is installed on your C:\ drive):

C:\Windows <- Inside this folder you should find the file "explorer.exe". Select that and press "CTRL+C" (this will copy the file, do NOT cut, just copy).

Then paste the copied file into:

C:\Windows\System32

these are the types of things we would go in and try to narrow down exactly what the issue is:

Method 1
Please check whether you face the same issue while working in the safe mode.
Step 1 Safe Mode
1. Restart your computer.
2. When the computer starts you will see your computer's hardware being listed. When you see this information start to gently tap the F8 key on your keyboard repeatedly until you are presented with the Windows 7 Advanced Boot Options screen.
3. Using the arrow keys, select the Safe Mode option you want.
4. Then press the enter key on your keyboard to boot into Windows 7 Safe Mode.
5. When Windows starts you will be at a typical logon screen. Logon to your computer and Windows 7 will enter Safe mode.
6. Do whatever tasks you require, and when you are done, reboot to go back into normal mode.

Steps 2. Clean Boot
If the issue existed in Safe Mode perform Clean Boot troubleshooting to find the root cause of the issue:
Clean Boot Troubleshooting:
1. Click Start, type msconfig in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
User Account Control permission.
If you are prompted for an administrator password ***** for a confirmation, type the
password, Or click Continue.
2. On the General tab, click Selective Startup.
3. Under Selective Startup, click to clear the Load Startup items check box.
4. Click the Services tab, click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box, and then click Disable All.
5. Click OK.
6. When you are prompted, click Restart.
7. After the computer starts, check whether the problem is resolved.

If the issue is resolved check which third party is causing the problem, referring the link given below:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

8. Also you need to uninstall and reinstall the problem software on your computer.
Reset the computer to start as usual
9. After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to reset the computer to start as usual:
Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
10. If you are prompted for an administrator password ***** for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue. On the General tab, click the Normal Startup option, and then click OK.
11. When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Restart.

Method 2.
I would also recommend you to run online Virus Scan to remove any infections, if present.

did you want to get back to me after trying these?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I tried copy and paste the explorer file but it keeps restarting windows explorer. It doesn't matter where I copy and paste from desktop or in win explorer. I run Computer associates anti virus program and nothing shows up on any scans. I guess I'll try the safe mode route and get back to you......

Best i have seen that catches things?

Download hitman pro. Its a deep scan that malwarebytes, mcaffee etc misses.

http://www.surfright.nl/en/downloads/

Pick your version (32 or 64) you have on your system and run it.

Also,

Hit CRTL-ALT-DEL so you can start Task Manager. End the explorer.exe task. Go to FILE and select New Task (Run). Type CMD and hit OK. Type cd c:\ and hit the ENTER key. Type cd c:\users\XXX\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Window\Explorer\ and hit ENTER NOTE: XXX is where you put the name of the currently logged in user account

Next, type ren thumbcache_96.db thumbcache_96.OLD

Now restart the computer or start explorer.exe from the New Task (Run) in Task Manager.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well I've just tried everything suggested..........I even used system restore from a backup of my system from 05/08/2015 and the problem is still there. Same, even in SAFE mode. When I right click on a pic on my desktop and click copy......then open a folder on my desktop and click paste......a window opens up stating windows explorer has stopped working then the window closes and another window opens stating windows explorer is restarting. This happens with folders, pictures or files etc......It doesn't matter what I try to copy, it just fails every time I try to paste it somewhere.....I just tried drag and drop and it appears to be working normally.....

Have you considered reinstalling? do you still have the disk for that?