Isaac Franklin
Isaac Franklin, Computer Hardware Engineer
Experience:  Technical Support Coach at Liberty Tax Service

I am migrating from one computer to another. My older

Customer Question

I am migrating from one computer to another. My older computer has recently had problems handling windows 10 updates. Freguently going to a black screen. I purchase a hp omen desktop. All of my data has been backup on a cloud backup software service but not all of my software was backed up. I need guidance on how I should proceed in with the migration. I been trying to revive my old computer but I have been unsuccessful. Suggestions please on how I should proceed. Using my cloud service backup and using my old computer. Is it worth taking my old computer to get it revived?
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Isaac Franklin replied 5 days ago.

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

You may not even need to 'revive' it. Hard drives can be slaved in most cases. This is where you take out the

hard drive and copy all the files onto a usb and then load it on your new computer.

What is the make/model of your old computer and what is its 'problem' as far as not being able to be revived?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hi Issac, I have a Dell XPS 8500. It was doing an windows 10 update and it rebooting to a black screen with a white circle visual. Going around in a circle. I could not get to a log on screen.I tried to get it to default status by forcing a three log offs. I tried to unplug it and press and hold the power button . Nothing seems to work.

That has a primary and a secondary drive. You can follow the guide below. Computers that have issues

especially on start up will 'beep' at you. The amount of beeps 'tells' you what is wrong in most cases.

You can follow the guide below to try and run troubleshooting on it to get it to start. If you are not successful,

You can still slave the drive as we discussed in the second link i send you. it will give you an idea of what you are in

for if you choose this method. So you can prepare yourself and make an informed decision.

(there are companies that do this for you as well if you decide that is the option you want and you do want to keep

what is on that pc)

You can use the recovery disk possibly. We can try to boot it into safe mode to see if we can bypass it too.

When you shut down the computer fully, and you hit the start key, repeatedly tap F8. Try this a few times to see

if you get a window with options. Also, try F12 or F2. Just to get past that circle and to see if we can get options.

Please rate this solution to close out the question or reply to continue.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
If I am able to get the computer running, what is the process to migrate the software and files.

We would then go in and back everything up on a usb/cd

and transfer it to your other computer and download from your E drive to copy

everything there. That is the easiest part of all of it.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Ok great. You are the best. I am at a friend watching football. Should I close this out and get back with you later this afternoon.

No. You can leave it open. Just update when you are ready to continue.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
How do I make you my favorite Computer tech person?

Whenever you are done here with this process and we figure out what method you

want to use. We will close out the question when done. Then i will leave you my direct link

to get back to me if you have new questions.

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
Hi Issac. I am going to pick up my new computer today and I will try setting it up using the advice that you gave me. Please be on alert if I need you assistance further.
Expert:  Isaac Franklin replied 3 days ago.

You lucked out! I am here until this evening. Came in later to stay on later tonight.

I am stoked to hear about your new equipment! Love new electronics. Update when

ready and settled in tonight.

Customer: replied 23 hours ago.
Hey Issac. Oh my goodness..this computer is quick...I am loving it...32gb memory, NVidia 1090 graphic card, solid state hd and 2tb hd. I7 chip. I purchase a portable HD to transfer my files...mostly music tho. Download most of my programs from the cloud.Do you know of a tool that is effective in finding duplicated music files (mp3).. I have a Hugh library of music and a lot of duplicates.