Barun, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience in providing support for tech-related issues, including computers, email and software.

One of my other computers is giving me a verbal and written

Customer Question

one of my other computers is giving me a verbal and written message saying that Microsoft has been notified by my computer that it is infected with a virus and spywear and I must call 1-***-***-**** immediately.
It says the error message is ERROR #268D3-XC00037.
It says if I close the computer page without call they will disable my computer
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Barun replied 7 days ago.

Hi, and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you today.

Your browser on the affected computer has been hijacked by this fake/rogue webpage - it's NOT affiliated with Microsoft or Windows in any way.

Just to clarify, does this page come up when you open up the Edge browser (with the 'e' icon) or with any other browser?

Please reply back to me using the box below.

Expert:  Barun replied 7 days ago.

PS: Please do NOT accept any remote assistance offer (simply "X" it out) if it shows up on this page at any time; it's sent out automatically by our site, and not by me. We do not need to do a remote session for your issue; please reply back to me below, and I'll continue to assist you further on this page itself.

Expert:  Barun replied 7 days ago.

Hi again,

I have closed out the other duplicate question you opened up for this issue; good to know that you were able to get rid of the rogue webpage for now by restarting the system. Yes, your browser was hijacked by a malicious party that was showing up this fake alert/popup, and has nothing to do with Microsoft at all. However, to make sure that your Chrome browser is completely clean now, please do this as well:

Click on the icon with three dots at the top-right of the browser window, and then click Settings.

Scroll down to the very bottom and click "Show advanced settings".

Next, scroll down further to the bottom and click "Reset settings", and reset Chrome when prompted.

This should do it. If you need more help, please use the Reply box below to continue our conversation.

Otherwise, kindly take a moment to rate my service by clicking on (and submit) one of the five stars at the top of this page - this is the only way that I'll be credited for assisting you today. Thank you.