IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience:  Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional
30721786

Airplane mode won't turn off.

airplane mode won't turn off.

Hi, I'm Mr.med. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

What is the model and brand of your smart phone please?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
have none

what is the device you are using ? iPad ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
using another computer.

Are you trying to turn off airplan mode on your laptop ? are you using windows or mac ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
my computer can't get on the internet because of this problem.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
using windows 10 on laptop

Option 1 : Click Windows logo + A then Click on the Airplane mode quick action button to toggle off.

Option 2 : Click/tap on the netork icon in the taskbar notification area. Click/tap on the Airplane mode button to toggle off

Option 3 : Click start (windows logo), Open settings , and click/tap on the Network & Internet icon.
Click/tap on Airplane mode on the left side, and turn off Airplane mode on the right side.

Let me know the results please

Thank you

Has everything worked out please?

Do you still need help ? if yes please reply back to me and i will gladly continue help you

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
None of the options worked. Airplane mode still stays on. Is there anything in the registry I
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
CAN turn off.

Try to Press Fn + (a key with little radio tower on your keyboard)

Or :

1. Shut down the computer

2. Unplug the laptop power cord

3. Remove the battery

4. Hold down the on/off power button for 20 seconds

5. Re-install the battery

6. Power the laptop back on and wait for bootup

If the problem persists please reply back to me

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm using another laptop, won't be able to get back to you until Monday.

Ok please take your time, reply back to me when you are available

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Didn't work. It seems like I have a bug in my windows 10 system.

I fear I am not making progress with this case, so I must Opt Out, with sincere regrets. If and when another Expert takes up the case, you ought to receive a notification email.

Thank you

Hello! My name is*****
I am a certified computer professional who will assist you.

It looks like the previous Expert is not available any more. I can continue assisting you.
Please tell me if the problem with airplane mode started to happen only recently, or it was present ever since you installed Windows 10?

I am awaiting your reply.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you for trying. The problem started when I did a clean install of windows 10.

Thanks for the information!

I will do my best to help you solve this problem.

Hold on, I will provide several suggestions for you now.

First, please tell me the make and model of your laptop.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
DELL LAPTOP WITH WINDOWS 10

OK. If you haven't already, please press the Fn key on the keyboard along with the F-key that has a radio antenna on it, which is usually the F2 key.

So, press the Fn and F2 key at the same time and check if that makes any difference.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did that already.

If it didn't turn off the airplane mode, did it at last show some visual notification about disabling or enabling the wireless network?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It didn't change airplane mode from staying on, I can't get my internet to stay on.

OK. Please check if the network adapter has been installed and detected. To do that, move the mouse cursor over the Windows Start button and then right-click it and select Network Connections.

Let me know how many network adapters are listed. Type their names here.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have to go to my dell. I won't get back until tomorrow.

Oh, I thought you were near the Dell laptop now.

Since you aren't near it, I will check for all the possible causes of the problem and will provide an answer with several suggestions. You can then test all the suggestions tomorrow when you go to your Dell laptop again.

Hello again! Here are several suggestions you can try when you are near your Dell laptop.

#1 - Re-install all network adapter drivers

1. Move the mouse cursor over the Windows Start button located in the bottom left corner, and right-click it and select Device Manager
2. In the Device Manager window, expand the Network adapters category
3. You should see one or more network adapters there. Uninstall them all one by one. To do that, right-click on the first one and select Uninstall. Check the Delete the driver software for this device check-box if it is available

4. Do the same for all network adapters listed in the Network adapters category

5. When done, restart the computer

6. Upon next restart, Windows 10 will re-detect all network adapters and install the drivers loading the default settings. Check if you can now connect to the network without the airplane mode interruption

#2 - Download the network drivers

In case Windows 10 couldn't automatically re-install the network drivers, or if it did, but the problem persists, you can use another working computer and go to the Dell drivers download web page and download the correct network drivers (Ethernet and/or Wireless) and transfer them to your Dell laptop and install them. Restart the laptop and reconnect to the network. Check if that solved the problem.

Here is a link for the Dell drivers download web page:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/en/hrbsdt1/Products?app=drivers

You need to enter a Service Tag to find the correct drivers for your Dell laptop

#3 - Un-plug everything

Un-plug every peripheral device currently connected to the laptop, such as USB mouse, external keyboard and hard drive, etc. In case you use Uninterruptible Power Supply, make sure to disconnect its USB cable from your laptop since it causes a bug with the airplane mode setting. After un-plugging, restart the laptop and use the touch-pad for navigation. Check if there are any changes

#4 - Check the registry setting

1. Click inside the Windows search box and type regedit and press Enter to start the Registry Editor

2. There navigate to this location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > System > CurrentControlSet > Control > Class

3. Right-click on Class and select Find...

4. Type RadioEnable into the search box and press Enter

5. After several seconds, the results should show a registry key containing the RadioEnable value. Look for it on the right

6. Double-click on RadioEnable and make sure it says 1 for the Value

7. After settings to 1, click OK and restart the computer

8. After the restart, check if the network is available

#5 - Check the Airplane mode switch

1. Click on the Windows Start button and then click Settings (icon that looks like a screw)

2. Click on Network & Internet

3. On the left, click on Airplane mode

4. Make sure the Airplane mode switch is Off, and Wi-Fi switch On

#6 - Create a new Windows user account

Since it is possible that the problem is only with the current Windows user account, you can create a new one, sign in there and check if network access works fine. Here are the instructions:

1. Click on the Windows Start button located in the bottom left corner, and then click on Settings
2. Click on Accounts
3. Click on Family & other users
4. Click on + Add someone else to this PC
5. When a new window opens, click on I don't have this person's sign-in information located at the bottom
6. On the next screen, click on Add a user without a Microsoft account
7. You will then be able to type a name of the new account and password (optional)
8. Click Next to create the account
9. Once the account has been created, it will appear under "Other users"
10. By default, a new account will be a standard user (no administrative privileges). To change that, click on its name (under Other users) and then click on Change account type. Click on the drop-down box (where it says Standard User) and select Administrator, and click OK to confirm

11. Your new account will then be ready to be used, so sign out of your current account and sign in to the newly created account. You can simply restart the laptop and you will be taken to the logon screen where you can choose your newly created account

12. Check if the airplane problem is gone. If yes, you can continue to use this Windows user account and remove the original one

That is pretty much it as far as the suggestions regarding the airplane mode problem go. If none of them work, it means there is something wrong with your Windows 10 installation, so I suggest re-installing it.

Best regards,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
rate you 5 stars. Thank you.

Thank you! Please check if clicking on the stars located in the upper right corner of the page works for you. You should be able to rate there.

Regards,

IT Miro, Computer Scientist
Experience: Bachelor's Degree in Information Technology, Microsoft Certified Professional