Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.

Lately my phone has been using up my battery quickly. When I

Customer Question

Lately my phone has been using up my battery quickly. When I look to see what is running it was Google play store and as of yesterday it changed to Google services.
I fully charged last night. Took it off the charger @ 5am and went back to bed. When I woke up at 9am the phone was at 78%. I'm trying to figure out what is happening.
My phone is an Android, 1 & 1/2 years old. I do not play games. My battery was lasting about 2 to 3 days.
So, what is Google doing?
Can I revert back to factory settings?
There have been updates that I refuse to load. I do not accept the idea of giving access to the camera and microphone to anyone that can take control of the phone remotely.
What can I do?
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 7 days ago.

I am the person that will be helping you today.

May i ask for the brand and model name of your phone?

I will be standing by, looking forward to your response.

Thank you,

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Android maxx

You may revert back to factory settings, which will erase everything including the problems by following the instructions below:

- Turn the phone off.

- Press and hold the Volume Up/Down buttons and then press the Power button.

- When you see the Boot Mode Selection Menu, let go of all buttons.

- Press the Volume Down button to tap Recovery, then press the Volume Up button.

- From the triage screen, press and hold the Volume Down button, then press and release the Volume Up button, and then let go of the Volume Down button.

- Choose "Wipe data" or "Factory Reset" (Use the volume keys to move the selection and use the power button to choose the option)

- Choose "Yes -- delete all user data"

- Choose "reboot system now"

Once that is complete, your phone will be reset and the problem will be gone.

One quick note: This is my job; however, I only get credit for my time, if you rate my help with 3 Stars or more. I would prefer a 5 star rating, if you are satisfied. If you are not happy with my answer below, please let me know so we can continue.

I look forward to your next message below or your rating on the top of this page (choosing of number of Stars and clicking the Submit button)

Please, do not forget to rate my help on this page.

Thank you again,
- Jason

In the future, if you wish to work with me, ***** *****, you may ask your question at ohe following page that you may bookmark/favorite, if you wish. To be sure that it is sent to me, preface the question with "For ***** ***** Only!"

My Profile page:

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I am not really happy with tech support.
Rebooting my phone to factory settings was the only answer. I rate the service I received as poor.

I am very confused. You asked for instructions on how to revert back to factory settings. I gave those instructions.

- Jason

Was that not your goal?

Do not rate my service until you are done. When you rate my service, we are done and your payment is sent.

I have run out of ideas.

For this reason, I am opting out of the question and allowing another expert the chance to help.

The next expert will see all that is on this page, so there will be no need to repeat anything.

When another expert picks this up, you will be notified by email.

Thank you for your patience.

- Jason

Expert:  Robert M. replied 7 days ago.

running the updates will actually help in this case

one of the newer updates to android is an app that lets you streamline the power usage by turning things off when they have not been used for xx amount of time

the advantage in this case is that the google apps cant be removed without screwing up the phone and they like to stay active forever just checking your usage for advertising purposes. so if you can set them off until actually used ( like the google game service will only be opened when you actually play a game) that should save some battery power.

Other things to look at are screen brightness and how long the screen stays open when you haven't clicked it.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
My Android updates are current.
It is the Google updates that want access to my camera and microphone that I do not install. An example is street view.
Currently Google services is using 40% of the battery.
My screen goes dim after 3min as set.
In my original question, I mentioned resetting Google to the original settings as a last resort, not the entire phone. I guess resetting the entire phone would be the ultimate last resort.
Currently my phone is at 50% and the only use has been my conversation with you.
Truly frustrating
Expert:  Robert M. replied 7 days ago.

if you go to settings / smart manager / battery

under app power settings click detail

that should give you a list of all the apps and you can put the google apps on power save

my screen goes dim after about 30 seconds. It drives my wife crazy when she tries to use it. But it doesnt bother me that much and it saves a lot of power. You might try knocking it down a bit.

but tbh what is probably screwing you up at this point is not doing the updates. It is the fact that it is constantly asking you to do the updates that is drawing more power than the updates would. they don't expect you to do anything but say yes to the updates so it is not streamlined for power saving. Rather it just keeps running and running looking at your phone and deciding you need updates and popping it up over and over asking you to update it.

I am not sure if you can turn that off. But i think not. It is probably easier to just let it update. It will draw a lot less power after the update than it will asking you to do the update.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I have had the same settings the year that I have been using the phone. And yet I have regularly experienced no battery drain.
Maybe I should look for a carrier that doesn't use Google.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 7 days ago.

no such thing. google is part of the android system

to avoid it you need a new phone.

you would need a non android phone either an iphone or a windows phone.

but what has changed is that you have not accepted the updates. You think that it will stay the same without doing the updates as that would make sense logically.

what changed is that the updates are now available. And the phone spends a lot of battery power telling you that they are there and waiting for you to do them over and over.

I just had this same situation with somebody else for a different upgrade. The not doing the upgrade caused a huge battery drain just from it constantly saying "you need to do the upgrade"

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Your information about Google on Android doesn't seem to be correct. A quick search shows articles explaining that it can be done. One source is itworld and makeuseof. I will be researching them. Is your answers to me biased by you being employed by as part of Google?
I still feel dissatisfied by your tech support. The web site says that I only pay if satisfied, will you be returning the money you charged me before you even answered (sort of answered) my question?
Expert:  Robert M. replied 6 days ago.

Sorry. Technically you can remove all of the Google apps from your Android phone. But you won't have much of a phone left. Just about every app depends on them for one thing or another

But since you have already made up your mind that it's a more professional solution to rip the guts out of your phone than to just do the simple update I don't think I can help you. As a professional I work on the principal of making sure that your device keeps working which usually means doing things the way the manufacturers suggest doing them