Russell H., Computer Systems Expert
Experience:  13+ years experience

A different question, Whenever I am listening to a playlist

Andrew,A different question,Whenever I am listening to a playlist on You Tube I'll usually stop the playlist without finishing it. But the problem here is if I want to reload the same playlist I cannot continue it from where I left off. I must start over. If I click the next song on that list it will only play that song but if I put it on auto play it will play another recommended playlist as an continuation.How come I cannot pick up where I left off without any disruption? So in essence, I don't get to hear the playlist in it's entirety on a continual basis.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell.

Andrew is unfortunately not responding at the moment. I hope I can help. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

A playlist (that isn't your own playlist - and I know the difference since I have numerous playlists on my YouTube account - ) necessarily begins at the beginning, or at the first video listed.

When you interrupt playlist playing, you will probably have to begin it over again - unless you simply pause the video, and then un-pause it later, keeping it in a Tab of your browser until then.

What browser are you using? on what platform or what computer type?

A YouTube playlist ought to come up with a sidebar to the right, listing each video in the list, the earlier ones on the top of the list, the last video in the playlist at the bottom.

There are YouTube settings that allow you (if logged in to your YouTube account) to play through a playlist differently. They may be a factor in what you're asking about, too. A setting can either be (if I recollect correct) Shuffle (or random order), play-through (more or less), or neither. If you're set to 'Neither', playing one video from in the middle of the playlist will simply play that video and leave off; you would need the setting for play-through more or less. Which in my browser, at least, is called Play All (actually not a setting. But it plays all the playlisted videos through in order. The two settings are either Repeat Playlist, or Shuffle... and they are represented by little icons with two arrows each, which are found just beyond but near the upper right of the video being played.)

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Okay. Thank you Andrew. My main concern is with my own playlist that I have created on my account. Could you please clarify that again? If I stop listening in the middle and want to start it again at that point I must 'Pause' it. I like that answer but doesn't that mean during that time I cannot use any other functions on You Tube? Yes, now that you mention it I think I can play a playlist from another account at any starting point and that's where it will continue from there. Actually, I had forgotten about that. Maybe I could open another account just to go onto my account and listen at my leisure?

What browser program are you using please, to access YouTube videos?

Internet Explorer?

something else?

I have an answer for your questions... and a practical and easy method. Let me know, please. Thanks.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Sorry, I am using an IPAD and streaming through a Roku device.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Using Wifi connection

I was thinking you were using a computer. Thanks for correcting that impression.

When you open YouTube, are you basically tapping on a YouTube icon?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.

OK. Pause one YouTube video that's part of a playlist.

Open another YouTube video with a different YouTube icon... or open a web browser using the big blue E icon, or whatever web browser your iPad has. (Looking that up... I confess I've never had an iPad... )

1. Tap the address field (in the title bar) to bring up the onscreen keyboard. ...
  2. You can have up to nine pages open at a time. ...
  3. Open a new page: Tap the window icon and tap New Page. ...

That sounds like a solution of sorts. You have a web browser open, you can access

as the web address, then go to whatever video you like, while the (YouTube icon) program with your playlist is on Pause, or its video is Paused, then once that's done, switch back to the YouTube icon/playlist/paused video, and resume that video... and resume that playlist too!

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Okay, done. I opened up You Tube like you said and it was my channel but like me looking from the outside in all functions the same. I was able to upload a video for viewing but I only get audio, supposedly just the picture of the video is frozen while the audio continues to play. The video screen is black but when you tap it the video picture frame comes up and it is frozen. I hope I explained that well.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The whole time doing this I had pause on my video on my channel.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I don't know if you already know that I am streaming this onto my TV, I assume this was obvious. Just checking.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
But when I went to the web browser to log on I could only play the video on my IPAD, which is fine.

So... if playing on your iPad is fine, then what is wrong?

I'm sorry if I don't get the full picture quite.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
it's fine, just wanted to clarify that it cannot be played on my TV while I have a video paused on my You Tube account. The only other thing that I mentioned was the picture was black like paused motion and I could do was hear audio only. So, if this is the drawback then I will accept that, no choice. I wanted to bring it to your attention if maybe you could address it, if possibly there was a way to fix it. I'm assuming there is no fix.

Was the picture black but with audio, on the TV? (A)

Or on the iPad, also, as well? (B)

Or only on the iPad but no on the TV was it black with audio ? (C) and I doubt that.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The video has no output for the TV when my playlist is in pause, can only play on TV with the video that is on pause. I was saying that when I went to the browser on my IPAD and tried to play a video you could only hear audio and the picture is black. That's all I was trying to clarify.

So... were you playing from the playlist onto the TV? when you paused the playlist's video ?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
No, just on the IPAD. I was unable to play the video on the TV while the video from the playlist was being paused. Apparently, I can only have one source at a time when playing and pausing a video at the same time.

That's unfortunate, if so.

But I'm not the sharpest Expert at iPad configuration, and video use. I've never owned one, as I admitted before.

It seems that a YouTube video on an iDevice cannot play once the YouTube app is backgrounded. That pauses it automatically.

Try this trick, though:

Open Safari browser on your iPad.

Play any of your favorite song on the YouTube website.

Now tap the Home button to go to the home screen, or swipe to switch to a different app, and you’ll notice that the YouTube video has stopped playing.

Swipe up from bottom of screen, to open Control Center, then tap the Play button.

Does that help with the problem? perhaps once you get to 'Control Center, then Play button', you can get video to play on TV or on iPad that is not black-screened.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Russel, what I found out was you can start any playlist at any song and it will continue every song thereafter on the list. I go to my playlist push 'play all' now after the first song starts I can then go to any song on the list because it is now already in the queen and the rest of the songs will continue to play from there. I am still working on the other things you had mentioned. But for now I'm okay. Thank you!

Great to hear that, Diane. It's true that there's (most of the time) a way, somehow, to use the interface of any computer-type system, properly and with the aimed-at effect.

Thank you for your favorable rating for my efforts, and thank you for asking your question here at