Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

To begin with I could not get into my computer this the 4

Customer Question

To begin with I could not get into my computer this the 4 number password ***** I normally use did not work. I was able to get in with the original Microsoft password. There appear to be multiple problems but the first one that I think needs to be addressed is my computer is in airplane mode and I am getting no a connection to the internet obviously, and I can't turn airplane mode off
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Isaac Franklin replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply momentarily.

In order to help you, I need to know what operating system you have on your device. Windows Vista, Windows 7, 8.1, 10, or do you have a Mac?

What is the make/model of your computer?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Asus. Windows 10
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Of course you can't connect to mic on my device to fix it because I have no internet connection. So the answer is no.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry for the extra words

That is automated. Please ignore it and we will continue.

Thank you, ***** ***** need the model of your asus. There are tons of them. It will help us get you out of airplane mode.

This is 'a blanket' way to get you out of airplane mode.

If i read correct, you can still get to your desktop due to entering the 'password', correct?

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/airplane-mode-windows-10

This will give you options to go out of airplane mode to start with.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am in my computer Kama although I couldn't get in with the password ***** normallyuse. I am in settings where it says airplane mode and it will not shut off.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Kana = ,

There were a couple of options on that page to turn it off. Can you tell me if any of them

work and what you mean by 'it will not shut off'? Is it greyed out? blinks. does nothing etc?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When I try to slide it to off, which I don't even see, it slides back to on.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What is a blue background with a white dot that shows on. I am sliding it to the left to turn it off but it slides right back to the right.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Not what is it is. I am so sorry I will try to pre read my messages better.

Can we try to put your computer in safe mode? Something is going wrong. That shouldnt happen.

There is a guide i am sending you to put you into safe mode for windows 10. (number 2 is simpler)

http://www.digitalcitizen.life/4-ways-boot-safe-mode-windows-10

Boot into safe mode, then try the airplane method again to turn it off. Reply to me if you are able

to get into safe mode.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay, I believe I am in safe mode although gave me an error message that's it couldn't read something. The screen now says choose an option continue troubleshoot turn off your PC.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just to let you know, I tried number one first and it didn't work. I tried it twice and nothing happened.

continue. we want it in safe mode to see what is going on with the 'enable/disable'

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It appears that it is now restarting and is now asking for my password. Again it would not accept the password ***** normally use. Therefore I entered my Microsoft original password. It is now showing me my desktop.

What do you see?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My normal desktop files.

Is it allowing you to turn off airplane mode from this point?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I went into settings again into network and internet and airplane mode isn't even there I think I'm in the right place?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I search to find a setting to find airplane mode and nothing comes up.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I see status dial up VPN data usage and proxy

You are not on ethernet cord, correct?

Lets see if you have any connections:

Please look at the article below and tell me if anything comes up for you?

http://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-connect-wireless-networks-windows-10

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry I somehow got disconnected from you I'm back I'm going to try what you just told me to do but in answer to your question I don't know what ethernet cord is.

That is what comes out of your router/modem and plugs directly into your computer.

It looks like a thick cord with a 'fat' phone cord plug in on the end. It is called 'hardwired'

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have a wireless. But now that you have explained it I dunno what you're talking about should I connected directly to my computer.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Most everything that I try to use tells me it doesn't work in safe mode. When I click on change adapter settings it says network connections folder is empty.

Are you at home? With your router/modem?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It says you aren't connected to any networks and when I press troubleshoot it says I have to get out of safe mode for it to work.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Internet Sherwood VPN stands for but there is no information there.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Again I forgot to proofread so sorry what I said is I am not sure what VPN stands for but there is no information in that screen.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am home

Okay, restart the computer. Go back into it again normally. And then, there is an ethernet cord coming out of either your

router or your modem (depending on your setup)

We are going to try to hardwire that computer to get internet for now.

Can you tell me what your set up looks like? and the name/model of your router/modem?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just plugged in theethernet cable . Should I keep it in before I restart?

Yes, restart the computer. Put in the ethernet cord and tell me what you see on the bottom right

of the screen. Do you see a tv with a spoon looking icon on the right of the tv? Or an X etc?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I just restarted it and it went back to safe mode so I am turning it off and starting over again

Thank you. You may want to try what you did in the beginning, taking out battery, power cord, holding

power button for a full minute, then reconnect battery/powercord/turn on.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I started over and I connected the internet cable but it's keeps restarting in safe mode how do I get out of safe mode. Network Diagnostics cannot be run in safe mode mode.

You may want to try what you did in the beginning, taking out battery, power cord, holding

This should clear the settings.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Interesting it told me troubleshooter can't run in safe mode. Now it says to reboot the troubleshooter has made some adjustments. So I'm going to do that

Okay. We need to get into the pc but something is 'blocking/redirecting' you which concerns me more

than the wifi/interent.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is that way I can't get out of safe mode?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
even in safe mode shouldn't shouldn't it show that I am connected to the internet with the ethernet cable in

Okay, this needs to be restored at this point just so we can try to gain access. Can you tell me how long this has

been happening to a 'round about day'?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This particular problem only started last night and I went to bed and prayed that it would be going today.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did have some other issues that didn't keep me from working so I didn't address them because I didn't have the day to do it.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did have a notice from Asus at one point to do an update and when I went to update it said I was all up to date.

Okay, lets try a restore if there is a point of access listed BEFORE this started. Im positive you had other issues.

Your computer isnt running correctly at all.

Shut down the windows 10 computer, start it.. When it gets to the windows sign in screen, dont sign in.

Instead, left click the power button at the bottom right.

Then, hold down the shift key on your keyboard, and then click restart.

This should bring you to the blue screen menu.. Choose troubleshooting, advanced, and then choose system restore.

Once system restore loads, choose a restore point that was one day before this problem started and then carry out the system restore.

That should fix the issue, but if you get stuck or this doesnt work then please send a detailed reply and I will assist you further as needed.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My choices are auto restore point on 9-28 or critical update Windows on 9-20
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
That was a critical Windows update

I would choose 9/20. this may have caused the issue.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry i lost you in was not sure I could get you back. I chose the critical update because that maybe when I begin to have some of my other issues.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My computer is currently restoring files. I actually thought you left me because you figured this was going to help the problem.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I assume this is going to take quite a while so should I come back later and will I be able to do that exactly.

No, i am with you. Sometimes, in cases like this? It does take awhile, hours couple days etc depending on your

time schedule. We try to accommodate you in that manner. We do not close out these questions, until you do or

are ready to.

Just update when it resets all the way and we will continue from there. I am still with you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. I will.

Perfect. Have a great day! Just update when ready.

~Franklin

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok it would not restore my first request to restore from critical update because of an error unspecified at 0x800700b7. I did the other choice restore from 9 20 16 and it says it is restored but i cant get out of safe mode.

Do you have any type of antivirus cleaner on your computer? malwarebytes, hitman pro etc ?

When you plug the ethernet cord in, go to this article and ensure the ethernet is 'enabled' there

http://internethelp.centurylink.com/internethelp/os-windows-10-network-adapter-enable.html

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Norton

Try to run the norton and do a deep scan on it. There is more going on than just your internet connections.

Did you try to use the ethernet cord and enable it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When I select view Network properties it is giving me in error message at C:/ Windows /ImmersiveControlPanel/SystemSettings.exe and says contact application support team.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can't run a full Norton scan just get an error during scan.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Cant run mc afee because cannot connect to the internet.

Are you willing to restore the computer and chose keep all files? You will have to reinstall your programs,

but at this point, i honestly believe you have a virus running on it. Not an update issue.

This usually helps that error, but you cannot even get connected to the network to download unless you use

2 computers and usb.

C++ runtime errors are a simple fix,go to microsoft.com/download center,type: C++ download the redistributables

Get the download that meets its requirments..C++ is like .NET each version runs along-side each,some run indepently,start with at least 2010,12/13/15/& 16 all have thier own,just chk the requirment tab,before the install/download...

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have a very wild question how do I do a download if I don't have any Internet connection.

Exactly. You would need 2 computers and a usb stick.

At this point, you can restore and keep the files and redownload your programs

or try to system restore again to a date by selecting 'more restore points' and see if there

are any before november.