Kamil Anwar, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  8+ Years of Experience. / CCNA (S), CCNA (W), CCNA (RS), MCTS, MBCs.

I think I called Microsoft because of a message I go that my

Customer Question

I think I called Microsoft because of a message I go that my computer was being hacked or had just been, something to do with my IP address. They could not fix the problem so I would up with this Tech Backer LLC who worked on my computer for about 1 hour. Bot***** *****ne they are sending me an invoice for 719.99. They wanted to send FedX to pick up check but I said I was going out of town so they told me I could put it in the mail They only ask me what check number I was useing. Is this a scam.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact model of your computer? And what operating system are you running?
Customer: It is a HP laptop and it has windows 8
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: Just updates today from my Viper security program, I had not even had this computer turned on since June and updates were out of date I guess. I normally use my desk top.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't know, I not that computer savy
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Kamil Anwar replied 10 days ago.

Yes, it is a scam and you should not have phoned them in the first place. However, since all authorities are already aware of the scam, there is nothing you need to worry about if you haven't given them any financial information.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
what you are saying is that I should not send this check and everything will be OK. Can they get back into my computer?

Yes, they can't do anything because they are scammers. They can only trick and impersonate and that's it. As far as i know, they normally do one off access, if you did give them access (once) and then they logged off without the program (they used) to remotely connect installed, then you're fine. They usually use Teamviewer, which is a one off.