Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.

A colleague has received e-mail, purportedly from me,

Customer Question

A colleague has received e-mail, purportedly from me, instructing her to set-up or pay financial accounts. I never sent those and have no record in my history.
JA: Just to clarify, what email service provider are you using for this account?
Customer: g-mail
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Only a question. Could my colleagues aol account be the culprit?
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 16 days ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. A scammer can set up an email account with the same name, and with a similar email address, and/or the scammer can fake the email address. Everyone should always ignore any email message that is suspicious.

- Can you please ask your colleague to check the exact spelling of the "From" email address in that fake email message?

Please reply at the box below to continue. Thank you,

Also, are your other contacts also receiving email messages purportedly from you?

- And are you currently able to receive new email messages fine?

- Can you please check your Sent email folder to see if any strange email message is showing there?

- Can you please go to the Google website below:

, and sign in your gmail email account if shown

, then go to the section Device & activity & notifications -> Recently used devices, and see if it shows your correct device(s) / locations(s) you've been using for your google / gmail email account.

Please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you,