Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

A colleague has received e-mail, purportedly from me,

Customer Question

A colleague has received e-mail, purportedly from me, instructing her to set-up or pay financial accounts. I never sent those and have no record in my history.
JA: Just to clarify, what email service provider are you using for this account?
Customer: g-mail
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Only a question. Could my colleagues aol account be the culprit?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. A scammer can set up an email account with the same name, and with a similar email address, and/or the scammer can fake the email address. Everyone should always ignore any email message that is suspicious.

- Can you please ask your colleague to check the exact spelling of the "From" email address in that fake email message?

-

Please reply at the box below to continue. Thank you,

Also, are your other contacts also receiving email messages purportedly from you?

- And are you currently able to receive new email messages fine?

- Can you please check your Sent email folder to see if any strange email message is showing there?

- Can you please go to the Google website below:

https://security.google.com/settings/security/activity

, and sign in your gmail email account if shown

, then go to the section Device & activity & notifications -> Recently used devices, and see if it shows your correct device(s) / locations(s) you've been using for your google / gmail email account.

Please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you,