Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

I recently upgraded from exchange 2003 to exchange 2016. I

Customer Question

I recently upgraded from exchange 2003 to exchange 2016. I am using outlook 2013 as the email client. When I try to connect a user to the 2016 server I get the error: The action could not be completed. The connection to Microsoft exchange is unavailable. Outlook must be online or connected to complete this action.****Before taking this question know I have exhausted every resource I could find on the net besides creating a support ticket with Microsoft. I have very little time so if you do not extensive experience with this problem please do not take this on.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Kevin T replied 3 months ago.

How's it going.
Let me read of your question. Give me a minute.

Expert:  Kevin T replied 3 months ago.

Is the MAPI feature disabled on the exchange server and the users mailbox? Is this happening with all mailboxes

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It is happening with all mail boxes I try to connect to the server. There hasn't been any changes to the MAPI feature. How do I tell if it has been disabled or not?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
is there a ps command I can run to check?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
found the command...one sec...
Expert:  Kevin T replied 3 months ago.

Open Exchange Management console and right click on their mailbox features

Expert:  Kevin T replied 3 months ago.

Powershell should be soothing like

Set-CASMailbox -Id $username -MAPI $false

Expert:  Kevin T replied 3 months ago.

MAPI was never a thing in 2003 this is why it would of been no issue before

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I've run Set-CASMailbox -Identity "Jill Hebert" -MAPIEnabled $true to enable MAPI
Jill Hebert is the mailbox I'm testing with
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no change
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
would it help to view things yourself? I've stop upgrading the rest of the clients... I want to make sure things are working correctly. first.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I need to have this completed soon.
Expert:  Kevin T replied 3 months ago.

Could I have a look in your exchange server?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I do have my outlook working, but I cannot get any other clients working. But I cannot duplicate the solution on the other clients. When I check my email server setting on my 2013 exchange client it say: https://exchange2016.onyx.got/mapi/emsmdb/?MailboxId=*****@******.*** I tired putting that in another client but it does not work
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
you want to charge me 99.00 to look at my system?
Expert:  Kevin T replied 3 months ago.

The secure remote assistance is 49.95

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Then we'll have to do without that. Can you fix it without viewing the serer or am I wasting my time?
Expert:  Kevin T replied 3 months ago.

When setting up the profile on the client. Can you use the exchange servers IP and not DNS name,

Please tell me If this works.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I've tried that.. same on both
Expert:  Kevin T replied 3 months ago.

Can of give the user you are trying it on full access to the mailbox first.

I also need the RPC event log ino please

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I assumed the user has full access to the mailbox. How do I check?
Expert:  Kevin T replied 3 months ago.

You can right click on the user in emc and manage full access persmisions.

Is SELF listed?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
emc? do you mean ecp?
Expert:  Kevin T replied 3 months ago.

Exchange Management Console.

I will be honest you do not seem very clued up and remote connection would be the best.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
2016 has ECP ... exchange admin center. I've never logged on the management console I think they got rid of that.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How do I get the the Exchange Management Console on Exchange 2016?
Expert:  Robert M. replied 3 months ago.

what i can suggest are some trouble shooting methods to try to narrow down the problem

i would try

a. creating a new user and a new mailbox on the 2016 server

b. load a new version of outlook on a test computer and see if you can log into the user and then the new exchange server with that.

If that won't work than there is a problem with the exchange setup itself or the mapping to it.

if that will work than it probably has to do with something in the domain server equating the old exchange server with the user name or some other confusion where it is not sure which server to use because the same user has the same mailbox on both.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
working on it now.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Same error.

so just to be clear you created a new user id for the network that did not have a mailbox on the old server

you gave that user a mailbox on the new server

using a clean pc you logged in as that user and could not connect to the mailbox on the new exchange server

is that correct?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
that is correct I created a new user, added the mailbox. Then I created the new user on the pc and tried to connect.

there is something wrong with either the network or the server.

does it have the same name as the old server ? that would screw it up.

the next thing that i might try just to be sure is to put the new server and a pc on their own network with nothing else on it and see if it can connect that way. You would probably have to do it by ip address or using a host file but if that does not work you have pretty much eliminated the network and it is something on the server itself.

Just for fun you might want to load a copy of oultlook 2016 and see if that gives you problems too. it should not make a difference but outlook and exchange are funny that way.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The server does have a different name. The old exchange server (exchange3) was the only server on the 2003 side of a hybrid 2003/2012 network. On that hybrid network users were logging in on 2012 domain (onyx.got) and the exchange server's 2003 domain/forest (gnc.local).After the migration last night I took the 2003 network offline by turning off the exchange server.I don't have a copy of outlook 2016.

what domain is the new exchange server on ?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The domain is on onyx.got.I have to roll back the upgrade. I need time to redo the clients to make sure things are ready for monday.I'll set up a lab network to try to figure out what is the cause of the problem.