GeekGal
GeekGal, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  MIS degree and 15+ years experience with both Mac and Windows hardware & software
76665483

Will not print in colors. Black only. Ink levels are ok.

JA: What's the make/model number of your printer? How old is it?
Customer: Pixma MX922. Less than 3 years (Guess)
JA: What kind of computer are you printing from (Mac or PC)? What Operating System (OS) are you running?
Customer: PC. Windows 7.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Two days ago. No prior indication that something was wrong
JA: Anything else you want the printer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Colors were blurry and straked. Us
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
After I used the deep cleaning option, no colors at all. Black ok.

Good morning. My name is*****'m sorry that you're having this problem. I will do my best to help. The deep cleaning cycle uses a lot of ink. It is possible that the color ink cartridges have been depleted. Let's check for that before we advance to further troubleshooting.

To view the ink levels from the printer, please follow these steps:

1. Turn the printer on.

2. Press the Menu button.

3. Select Setup.

4. Select Estimated Ink Levels.

Please let me know the results.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Cyan is a little low but all others are fine

Thank you for that information. Canon suggests that you print a nozzle check pattern sheet ( here's how: https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART143210) and if it is not acceptable you should do thee following:

• If the Nozzle Check Pattern is not printed correctly:

Check to see if a particular color's ink tank is not empty. (done)

If the Nozzle Check Pattern is not printed correctly though ink is sufficient, perform the Print Head Cleaning and try printing the Nozzle Check Pattern again.

• If the problem is not resolved after performing the Print Head Cleaning twice:

Perform the Print Head Deep Cleaning.

If the problem is not resolved after performing the Print Head Deep Cleaning, turn off the machine and perform another Print Head Deep Cleaning after 24 hours. When you turn the machine off, do not unplug it from the power supply.

• If the problem is not resolved after performing the Print Head Deep Cleaning twice:

If Print Head Deep Cleaning does not resolve the problem, the print head may be damaged.Contact the service center.

That's straight from Canon. However, I have a few other suggestions that may help. If you have only done the deep cleaning once, please repeat the process. Please be aware that it may deplete your ink so it would be a good idea to have replacement ink cartridges on hand. If the problem remains after the 2nd deep cleaning, please wait 24 hours (to give the dried ink in the nozzles a chance to soften) and try it one last time. If that doesn't work, our next step will be to remove the print head and try to manually clean it.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I think I will just buy a new one. The ink levels may be too low for cyan and magenta to go through another deep cleaning. Thanks for your help.

You're welcome. I understand. If the information that I have provided has been at all helpful , would you mind taking a moment to rate my service? I'd really appreciate it! You can give your rating by selecting the stars located on the top right of the question page. As an independent contractor for just answer, I do not receive credit for my answer without a positive rating. Have a great weekend!

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Response was timely and specific.

Thank you.