Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

My computer stopped working and a Microsoft screen popped up

Customer Question

My computer stopped working and a Microsoft screen popped up saying call a number and they will use MS to eliminate all spyware that I have on the computer now for $299.99.
Do you sanction or use such operations?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. That is a fake message; it is a scam, so please do not call that number and do not follow any instructions in that message.

- Does it let you close that popup screen?

- If no, can you please shut down / restart the computer, and check?

Please reply at the box below to continue. Thank you,

If it does not let you shut down / restart the computer, then press and hold the Power on / off button on the computer for about 10 seconds, then turn it back on.

- Then open Internet. And if it asks to restore, don't restore, just close it, then see if the computer works fine now.
Please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you,

This issue usually occurs when you accidentally when you accidentally click on a bad website link or advertisement, or when you click on a bad email attachment or link. This issue can be usually resolved by shutting down / restarting the computer.

- Also, please never follow any instruction in any popup message, or email message, or phone call that you do not know or that you are not expecting.

- Is the computer working fine after shutting down / restarting it? Or is there still any issue with your computer?

When you are available, please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further as needed. Thank you,