Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I can't send email out .. says my email server SMTP is not

Customer Question

I can't send email out .. says my email server SMTP is not connected
JA: Have you tested the connections by doing a ping utility test?
Customer: I have no Idea what that is?
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Computer
Expert:  GeekGal replied 7 months ago.

Hi there! My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, phones, tablets, and printers. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this Can you tell me a little more about the problem, please? Who is your email provider? Or what's the last part of your email address...the part after the @ sign? How do you access your email? Are you using a third party program like Outlook, or Thunderbird?

Expert:  GeekGal replied 7 months ago.

It would also be helpful to know what operating system you have on your computer. If you're not sure, please click this link and tell me what you see:

http://whatsmyos.com/

For MAC

From the Apple menu, choose About This Mac. Your version of OS X appears directly below “OS X".

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Gmail is my preferred mailing . It connects to AOL fine
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Connection doctor says Gmail is offline but I never had this offline and just recently had this problem
Expert:  GeekGal replied 7 months ago.

Would you consider allowing to connect to your computer remotely and work on this while you watch? It would be the fastest and easiest way to fix the issue.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Says AOL IMAP is connected but SMTP failed on AOL and gmail IMAP and SMTP failed
Expert:  GeekGal replied 7 months ago.

Some of your server settings are incorrect. For gmail your settings need to be as follows:

Incoming Mail (IMAP) Server

imap.gmail.com

Requires SSL: Yes

Port: 993

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server

smtp.gmail.com

Requires SSL: Yes

Requires TLS: Yes (if available)

Requires Authentication: Yes

Port for SSL: 465

Port for TLS/STARTTLS: 587

Do you know how to change those settings?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sort of but not all you listed is showing up
Expert:  GeekGal replied 7 months ago.

You may have to go to advanced settings to see all of them. I can be of more help if you tell me what software you're trying to configure (Outlook or Thunderbird, or something else) and what Operating system you have on your computer.

If you're not sure, please click this link and tell me what you see:

http://whatsmyos.com/

For MAC

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I can't resolve the issue . I don't trust having someone to trouble shoot from the inside
Expert:  GeekGal replied 7 months ago.

I understand your reluctance to allow someone else to connect to your computer. I would like to reassure you however, that you will be able to see everything that I am doing, and we will be able to chat while I am working on it. If at any point you are uncomfortable, you can click on the x in the upper right hand corner to end the session and I will no longer have access to your computer.

If you still don't feel comfortable with that, please just tell me what software you are using and what Operating system you have and I can provide detailed step by step instructions right here.