Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  I speak PC fluently, so you dont have to! Worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

I have an LG monitor connected to my mac. I can only see the

Customer Question

good day. I have an LG monitor connected to my mac. I can only see the things on screen if I close my mac, but then I can not type
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: but then I can not read whatever you write
JA: What kind of computer do you have?
Customer: macbook air
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: yes, sierra, but the problem I had before. I worked fine for some time but no longer
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: i do not think so but I would like to know how much would you charge me for your help
JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: ok
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is Dustin.
I'm sorry to hear about the issue you are having, I will do my best to help you resolve it.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok, but in the meantime I have been charged BOTH the 5 $ deposit and the 35$ for your response, even before I got any chance to get help
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

Lets try going in and making sure you have your displays set properly, as it sounds like you have it set to closed display mode.

First, shut down the mac. Then, disconnect the external display.

Shut down your Mac.
Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command (⌘), Option, P, and R.
Turn on your Mac.
Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.
Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.
Release the keys.

Once the mac fully boots. Follow these steps next

Here's how to set up an extended desktop:

1. Connect and turn on your additional display.
  2. From the Apple () menu, choose System Preferences.
  3. Choose Displays.
  4. Click the Arrangement tab.
  5. Make sure that the Mirror Displays checkbox isn't selected.

If this doesnt work and get both screens going, let me know. And if it does work, please remember to return here and click and submit a 5 star rating to show I was able to assist you.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Dustin, I do not quite understand. You send me a list of things to do and in a separate menu you ask for more money, I already paid $ 40 before starting anything
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

To be clear, I am not asking you for more money.. The site does automatically send offers for phone support or screen sharing ( remote support )

But for an issue like this I figured we could stick to written support, save you some money and still be able to work together to solve the issue.

So you can safely ignore those automated offers you are seeing.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
you say that if it does not work to come back to you. How?
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

To get back to me , either check your email. View one of the messages from justanswer that says you have received a reply or a message, open the message. Then inside it click the button that says view or reply on justanswer. That will bring you back to this page where you can scroll down and reply.

Or, go to justanswer.com, login at the top right. Then click my questions at the top right. Then, you will see our question listed there. Click the question, scroll down and reply!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
whenever the monitor starts I get a small menu on the top right hand corner showing HDIM, and some other options I do not even have the time to choose because they disappear. Also, when I connect the monitor, on the bottom there is a listo of options Picture Mode, Menu, Exit, Input, Monitor off, but I do not see how can I activate any of them
Expert:  Dustin replied 2 months ago.

Right.. Did you already try the steps I listed, in order?

Shut down your Mac.
Turn on your Mac.
Hold these keys until the computer restarts
and you hear the startup sound for a second time.
Release the keys.

3. Choose Displays.
  4. Click the Arrangement tab.