Russell H., Computer Systems Expert
Experience:  13+ years experience
13568747

I am having problems with my neat desk scanner. It keeps

Customer Question

I am having problems with my neat desk scanner. It keeps saying that paper is not detected. I have tried turning it off and on, turning off the computer, and rebooting computer. Nothing removes the warning
Category: Computer
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

That may be a problem with the paper sensor. It could be jammed, e.g. by dust or debris... or if paper was removed forcibly after paper mis-fed or jammed in the scanner's workings, then it could perhaps have been broken.

Examine the scanner's paper path, where the paper is put in and where it travels through the printer, look into it with a flashlight if needed. Is a switch visible anywhere? perhaps jammed into the walls (upper or lower) of the paper path?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just checked it and found nothing

What is the exact and full error message, and does it appear on the scanner, please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I believe it says that "no paper was detected, please try again
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have the NeatDesk desk top scanner and digital filing system, no screen on the scanner

So that message is on the computer, then, not on the scanner, am I correct in presuming this, please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, I would have thought tech support was provided when I purchased the Desk Top
Customer: replied 2 months ago.

OK.

When you put paper in the scanner to scan, and press the scan button on the scanner, does it 'take up' the paper, feed it in, even slightly?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Only on the computer

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I put the paper in and click on scan on the computer, I have tried pressing the scan butter but that doesn't work either

If the paper does not feed in at all, then you may well have a defect in your scanner.

One thing to try is, to turn the scanner Off. Unpug it from power (or if powered through the USB cable, unplug the USB cable to the computer.)

Remove all paper from it.

Leave it Off for at least 20 minutes. Then only after that interval or longer, plug it in again, turn it On if necessary, and see if the paper will be recognized and feed in properly this time.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Will try that

OK. Let me know what happens, in due course. Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It still gives the same message, the scanner was purchased around March 18 2015, I am not sure if I purchased extended warranty. What should I do????

The scanner is most likely, and rather decidedly, 'broken', I'm sorry to say.

It is out of warranty - unless you have an extended warranty plan - since it is over a year old.

If the scanner was fairly cheap, with regrets, it might be less expensive to buy a new one.

If it was expensive, that's different: It might be worth repairing, esp. for such a relatively minor problem.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How would I determine if I have extended warranty, I bought it at Staples I believe.

Find the receipt for the puchase. Contact Staples - esp., the store branch you bought it at. Referencing the receipt and the date on it, ask if there was an extended warranty for servicing of the scanner you bought.

If they don't know, then let me know the result and I will have further suggestions. Thanks.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you

You're welcome, it was a pleasure to provide advice to you today.

If you're done with this question and case, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated! Thanks, ***** ***** luck with the scanner (or, its replacement.)