Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
Whether it is worth repair, is dependent upon three things, I think:
1. whether you feel it is worth it, ultimately, but also
2. whether the cost of replacing the main hard disk (and perhaps of installing/reinstalling Windows upon it, would be too much for you, and also
3. whether the model is a modern or an ancient Compaq Presario - there have been a long line of them and the older ones are worth a lot less.
Let me know, please, and I will advise you further.
Examine whether there is a disc in the CD or DVD drives. Or (if its really really old) a diskette in the diskette drive (if, repeat if, it has one.)
If there is a disc in any drive, CD, DVD, or diskette, remove it. Then restart the machine, and see if it starts up OK this time.
The CD/DVD drive will Eject, with the computer On, if you turn the computer On, then press and hold the Eject button for at least 10 seconds. Regardless of the computer's bootup status.
Reformatting the system? no, without a disc, and with the computer not booting up, you cannot.
But - if there is a disc or DVD in the disc drive, it will give similar symptoms to what you are reporting, and if that disc is removed, the system ought to boot up find... if that's all the problem should turn out to be.
Then the only question is, Would this be a fairly new system from 2007 or so? or an older system?
It will need a trip to a computer shop for basic examination as to whether
- A: it is a destroyed system disk, or something can be gotten off it, of your photos and files,
- B: it just needs a trifle of Startup Repair, perhaps. Or a mere adjustment to the Boot Order in the Setup BIOS settings.
- C: it might need the hard disk replaced altogether ? which is possible, in which case, your data on the computer might be lost... I'm sorry to say this, but it is possible.
You can try to boot it up in Safe Mode now, of course, in which case the mere Startup Repair might be able to be done here and now, by you, under my direction. Would you like to try this?
OK. Thank you for asking your question here at JustAnswer.com, and good luck with the shop (note: if you need the location and number of one near you, just let me know your local postal code, and I'll find that information for you.)
If this completes the question, please rate my work and my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!