Byron, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  CCNA, A+, MCSE with over 12 years experience.

I paid for tech support, twice, with my credit card. First

Customer Question

I paid for tech support, twice, with my credit card. First it was for $100 in May of 2015 and next it was for $250 in June of this year, 2016. Today I got a phone call from(###) ###-####saying that the previous money paid was a scam and that Microsoft wanted to refund my money. I smell a fish and wanted to inquire with you. My email is***@******.*** and my cell number is(###) ###-####
The senior administrator, James, is going to call back, shortly. He wants me in front of my computer to set up a PayPal account that will handle reimbursement. What do you think?
Mike Bates
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Byron replied 29 days ago.

Hi there and welcome

This is 100% a scam. This person was not working for Microsoft and Microsoft would never cold call you for any reason.
This is what is known as "phone phishing" it is can be a very serious problem if you do let them access your computer.

Basically what they will do is call a lot of phone numbers and say that you have problems. Any actual computer problems you have will be entirely coincidental. Usually what they will do is show you the Windows error log which always shows a lot of errors but these are normal and on all windows computers, they are not viruses.

Next they log onto your computer and lie to you about the numerous problems they pretend to find. Next they will attempt to get you to pay a few hundred dollars to "fix" the issues when in fact they actually do nothing too helpful.

Always remember, no legitimate tech support company would ever call telling you there is a problem with your computer. Your computer does not report to Microsoft or any other company so if any tech support person calls, you can trust it is a scam and just hang up.

Please do me a favor and take a moment to rate my service by clicking the stars above, 3 or more is very appreciated, we can still chat after rating if you need more help.

Thank you