Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

Well, I'm reading your answer to "why is my AOL slow to

Customer Question

Well, I'm reading your answer to "why is my AOL slow to type". When I am typing an email in AOL ONLY - NO WHERE ELSE - it locks up and if you type one letter at just the right time, you can get it to type one letter. It does NOT do this all the time on AOL mail. I 100% believe it is AOL, and not my computer. It looks like I this happens to several people. If you have heard of this problem, and have figured out what is causing it, I would be greatful for your answer. If you do not have a definitive answer, there
JA: How long have you had this issue with your A.O.L. account?
Customer: 's no point is making other suggestions.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: It's done this for a very long time, so recent updates would not be an issue. I haven't personally installed any updates, but you know the computer is always doing that on it's own - but, AOL mail has been doing this for quite awhile, only letting one letter to be typed at a time and taking several tries to get that one letter to type.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Byron replied 2 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** you for your question. Can you tell me which version of the AOL desktop software

you are using and which version of Windows?

Expert:  Byron replied 2 months ago.

On your keyboard, hold down the Windows logo key (just to the left of the spacebar) and press R

the Run box will open.

In the text area type: sinf and click OK.

In the AOL system information window click Utilities

under AOL utilities click Close all AOL programs

click the AOL software tab on the left

click Quick Restore

say OK to the warning

When Quick Restore has finished, open AOL and check if the typing issue persists.

Let me know the result please.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
When I pressed the Windows logo key and pressed R, the box that opens does not say run, it says "Type the name of a program, folder, document. or Internet resource, and Windows will open it for you". Then I type in sinf, and what pops up is "Windows cannot find 'sinf'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again." This is getting way frustrating.
Expert:  Byron replied 2 months ago.

That won't work with every version of AOL Desktop and that's why I asked at the

beginning what version you were using?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
There's a sticker on my computer that says windows 7. Is that what you're looking for?
Expert:  Byron replied 2 months ago.

No. From your AOL window can you click Help>>About ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm looking at the mail page itself, and I know I've seen "help" before, but I'm not seeing it. By the way, AOL just changed the look of their email page, which isn't helping.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Am I still connected?
Expert:  Byron replied 2 months ago.

If your click Start>>All Programs, do you an entry for AOL or AOL Desktop?

What I'm trying to determine is how you are accessing AOL mail. Through a browser like

Internet Explorer, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox or is it being accessed through

the AOL Desktop program?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Do I need to restart this?
Expert:  Byron replied 2 months ago.

Not sure what is meant by that.

If you click Start>>All Programs, do you see an entry for AOL or AOL Desktop?

the AOL Desktop program?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No, if I click Start>>All programs, there is no entry for AOL or AOL desktop. I open my aol mail through internet explorer. I do not use the aol sight itself.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
How long will you be there today? Do I need to start another conversation with another tech? I'd really like to get this resolved. It only happens intermittingly which is why I didn't contact you immedeiately. It just started again today when I first reached out to you. Please advise.
Expert:  Byron replied 2 months ago.

Close Internet Explorer. Hold down the Windows logo key (just to the left of the spacebar) and press R.

The Run box will open. In the text area type: iexplore.exe -extoff

This opens Internet Explorer with all add-ons disabled.

Try typing an email. If there are no issues it means one of the add-ons installed in the browser is causing this.