Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO

I purchased an ASUS S400C laptop for my son. When we got it

Customer Question

I purchased an ASUS S400C laptop for my son. When we got it home and turned it on it went into a Windows 8 update. We then got a message telling us that the update failed and it was reverting changes, not to turn off computer. The computer hung in this loop for 24 hours. After researching, it seems that this is a common problem with Windows 8 so we decided to upgrade to Windows 10. I went to Best Buy and talked to the Geek Squad guy who told me that putting this flash drive in, it would upgrade to Windows 10 and fix the problem. I did that and the upgrade also failed. Now I can't boot either Windows 8 or 10. When I turn on the tablet, it brings the ASUS boot screen and just sits there running. Sometimes it will try to do an auto repair, but fails every time.
We tried doing a reset but it is requiring a media resource and the flash drives that we have cannot be verified by the tablet.
How do I get the operating system to boot?
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Satchi replied 30 days ago.

Hi ,

Welcome to Justanswer.

1.Restart your Notebook PC then press F9 on Keyboard multiple times
2.Wait for Windows® to load the Choose an optionscreen then tap Troubleshoot.Tap Reset your PC.
4.In the Reset your PC screen, read the bullet points tolearn more about using this option then tap Next.Tap your preferred reset option: Just remove my files5.or Fully clean the drive.Tap Reset.

Ensure that your Notebook PC is plugged in

to a power source before resetting your system

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
I have done this several times. It does not allow me to choose what I want to remove, it just goes into Reset your PC and eventually prompts me for a media resource. I put the flash drive in and it tries to verify it but says it is not valid.
Expert:  Satchi replied 30 days ago.

Sorry for the delay in reply .

You need to have Windows 8 on Flash drive and try to reset it again .

Expert:  Satchi replied 30 days ago.

Once it reset to Windows 8 then you can upgrade to windows 10 again

Expert:  Satchi replied 30 days ago.

If the same issue persists then You should contact the retailer to get a new replacement .